One ear is a lot closer to my head than the other. Is there a way I could get the ear loosened to match the other? (photo)

I had my ears pinned when younger. Consultant told me ears are always different from eachother but now one ear is now ideal however the other is pinned back more against my head it is a reasonable difference.1 ear has a back but the one closer to my head doesnt its as if they have taken it and stitched it to my head differently this ear can't fold like the other ear.I was wondering is there anyway I could get the ear loosened so it could match the other? Not the other ear pinned back even more

One ear is a lot closer to my head than the other. Is there a way I could get the ear loosened to match the other?

+1
Your right about the asymmetry. Without seeing a front view, it's hard to know which ear over/ undercorrected. I agree with Dr. Putman that "pinning" the prominent ear and adding a strut to project the overly corrected ear would likely be the best option. Although it is probably easy for you to reproject the ear that is closer to your head, it will be challenging to do that surgically in a way that will create stable and long-lasting protrusion. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision Otoplasty is likely possible

+1
Depending on the type of cartilage sculpting and suturing, as well as amount of skin removed, it may be possible to correct the recessed ear to better match the opposite one. However, a slight adjustment in the degree of protrusion of the opposite ear may be needed to achieve optimal symmetry. Talk to your surgeon beforehand about these possibilities.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon