1 Unit of Botox 2.5 Months Ago for Underarms. Is It Safe to Use 1 Unit This Soon After?

I had 1 unit of botox between the two armpits. I have an appointment in less then twenty four hours to have another unit done. Which is great it works so well but I'm not sweating again and it's only been two and a half months! Is this safe to have?

Botox for Sweating

+1

Thank you for your question. Botox for hyperhidrosis usually takes 100 units (50 units per armpit) and can last up to 9 months. I would recommend consulting with your injector and plan to do a maintenance or follow up in 6 months. I would recommend being treated under the supervision of a Board Certified Dermatologist or Plastic Surgeon for safest and best treatment option. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

+1

It is safe to reinject but more expensive than if you were to wait for the return of symptoms.  I typically inject 50 units or more per axilla. 

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA      

Botox to underarms

+1

Like the others have stated, you mean that you have one vial done, or 50 units to each armpit for a total of 100 units done. It's not dangerous to do Botox again only 2.5 months later, but I would need to know why you are doing this..... If you aren't sweating at all, why are you retreating? For most people, Botox to the underarms can last 9-12 months. So there's no reason to treat now. You'll be wasting money.

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Excessive Under Arm Sweat

+1

I think you mean one vial of Botox which is equivalent to 100units.  I usually use fifty units on each axilla with results that usually last 6-9 months. I would not advise another treatment at 2.5 months. The physician who treated you will likely help you time your next dose.  Another option is MiraDry, which uses microwave energy to permanently destroy your axillary sweat glands.

David Steckler, MD, FACS
Jackson Plastic Surgeon

Botox for sweating

+1

I think you had one BOTTLE or vial of botox. If you are not sweating again do not have this done yet. 2 1/2 mos is too soon to need this done again. This should last at least three to four months, probably longer.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Botox for underarm sweating

+1

I think you must be mistaken with the dose of Botox you received previously.  1 unit of Botox between the underarms would not do anything.  Normally, I use 50 units of Botox for each arm.  In most cases, the effect from Botox lasts longer in the underarms than for cosmetic purposes on the face and I have seen it last a year or more when used for sweating under the arms.  I would check on the dose you actually received and it is possible that you do not need another treatment at this time, especially if you are not having any sweating now.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for underarms

+1

One unit of Botox won't go far in your underarms - are you certain it wasn't 100 Units? Typically treatment for hyperhidrosis of the under arm area is done with a large amount of product - and should last several months if injected properly.

Sam Naficy, MD

One unit of botox under arms

+1

It seems that the amount of Botox that you had is not correct. Maybe you mean you had one vial of Botox between the two armpits. The results of a vial of Botox vary on the person and the amount that they sweat. It usually lasts more than three months on patients. Consultation with your injecting physician is recommended.

Purvisha Patel, MD
Germantown Dermatologist

Botox for Hyperhidrosis (Underarm Sweating)

+1

I am guessing that you had 1 vial (rather than 1 unit). Although it is generally “safe” to have more Botox right now, it is probably unnecessary at this time if your underarm sweating has not returned yet.   

There are a couple of considerations: 1) Clinically it is best to use the smallest dose possible at the longest interval that will control your symptoms.  This is because in general you don’t want to use more drug than you need and also because people can develop some resistance to Botox therapy.  2) You don’t want to pay more frequently than is needed for this therapy and if it is covered by your insurance you will want to check your policy because many plans will only pay for this therapy every 90 days.   

If Botox was effective for you it will likely continue to be effective, but I would recommend making a return visit once your underarm sweating begins to return.

Geoffrey J. Gladstone, MD
Southfield Oculoplastic Surgeon