Must Silicone Cheek Implants Be Placed on Filler-free Cheeks?

I have had a series of filers on my cheeks over the past two years, including sculptra, radiesse and restalyne. I would like to have silicone cheek implants in order to save money. I am 52 and this would make me feel better about aging over the next two decades.Must I wait for the cheeks to be completely flat before a consult and silicone cheek implants?

+2

I have performed many Cheek Augmentations with Cheek Implants and this often is the case.  Any filler that's within the tissues, of the cheeks, are well above the area where the cheek implants are placed...which is directly on top of the cheek bone.  I frequently will perform micro-liposuction of the nasolabial folds, cheeks and sub-malar areas if these areas have fillers or fat that needs to be removed for additional shaping of the cheeks. 

+2

The silicone implants can be placed with fillers intact without complications. The problem is judging the size of the implants. Waiting until the fillers go down (6 months) will make it easier to select the proper size.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Should cheek implants be placed after fillers are completely gone?

+2

I would say it would be best to wait until the fillers are completely gone so that your cheeks can be adequately assessed to determine the correct size of implant to use.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Cheek augmentation after fillers

+2

It's a good idea to make sure most of the fillers are resorbed so that  you have a basis from which to start augmenting the maxilla. It's important to pick the right size implant based on your current and fixed anatomy.

Wait for fillers to fade before cheek implants

+1

Hello Bella,

Once the fillers have completely been reabsorbed it will be easier for your surgeon to assess the degree of augmentation that would be appropriate. You can definitely start the consultation process prior to that in order to get an idea of what you want, what to expect and begin to plan when to do it. Best of luck.

Andres Gantous, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon