Unilateral Eyelid Drooping, What's the Cause? How to Fix? (photo)

Hi, my name is Michel, i'm 23 years old. When i was like 10 years old i had an accident in which i bumped my right eyebrow into a metal door and it spliced my eyebrow and needed to be stitched. This is my picture, if you look well on my right eyebrow you can see a scar going down even under the eyebrow hair. Is that possible that this accident caused me this eyelid droop? is the surgery a good solution? how much does it cost? And about my asymmetrical eyebrow, could that stitch be the cause? thanks.

Classic example of Herring's Law.

+2

Dear Miky

First, doctors refer to the right and left sides of the body anatomically.  That really means from your point of view and not as one views the photo.  Herring was an ophthalmologist who noted that paired eye muscles get the same innervation.  So in the photo the left upper eyelid is very heavy.  The right upper eyelid gets the same signal from the brain as the left side causing it to be too open, which is called retracted.   Now, a natural question is: If one fixes the left upper eyelid, will the right upper lid return to a normal position?  The answer to this is maybe.  At the time you see an oculoplastic surgeon, they can actually investigate your situation with some tests to get a better idea of what may happen to the right side when the left is fixed.   I recommend  going to the website for the American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS).  They have a geographic directory that can help you find a well qualified surgeon in your area. 

Unilateral Eyelid Drooping, What's the Cause? How to Fix?

+2

I recommend that you consult with an ophthalmologist to have your eyelid droop evaluated. There are many possible causes. If you've had a long-standing eyelid droop it is likely not anything to worry about but you should have it properly evaluated. Assuming that evaluation does not reveal any other cause for the eyelid droop, a ptosis repair can be performed to lift the eyelid and improve symmetry. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Trauma Causing Eyelid Droop

+1

It is possible that the trauma you describe could have caused eyelid droop.  In addition, you need to be evaluated with an exam to determine eyelid and brow excursion to get a better idea of what needs to done.

+1

It is possible that the trauma you had at 10 years old predisposed your eyelid to droop.  However, you need to be evaluated first to see what type of ptosis (droopy eyelid) it is and why it occurred.  Treatment will depend on your diagnosis.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon