When's the Soonest I Can Have a Rhinoplasty Revision?

just had a rhinoplasty done about a week ago and i no everyone keeps saying give it time to go down for the swelling but i no its not going to go down to what i want it to be. ive sunken into, i dont no if its depression, but just a very sad time where i dont want to go out with my friends, i constantly think about it and cry, and hate looking in the mirror. like nothing makes me happy right now. i had a bump on my nose and just a little slightly bulbous tip. whens the soonest for revision

Too soon to draw any conclusions

+1
At 1 week following rhinoplasty, you are extremely early in your recovery. It is way too soon to draw any conclusions. At this point, it is important for you to focus on recovering from surgery. It will be several weeks before you can appreciate any of the changes from your surgery. Some people do feel a little down in the days following any surgery and it is important for you to be around people that you are close with for support. Additionally, it helps to discuss this with your surgeon.

Recovery after rhinoplasty will vary based on the person, characteristics of the nasal tissues and what was done during surgery. It can take somewhere in and around 12-18 months to see the final results. The areas with thicker skin in the nose such as the tip, alar rims and radix will require longer to settle. Also there appears to be a linear decrease in swelling for the first several months followed by a period where the swelling fluctuates (sometimes little or no swelling and other times more swelling) before the nose settles. It is important to be patient during your recovery - it will take a while to see the final results.

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

I always advise dissatsfied rhinoplasty patients to wait at least 12-18 months before proceeding with a revision of their rhinoplasty.  Like most surgical procedures, it takes at least a year for the nose to completely heal after a rhinoplasty.  During the first year the edema (swelling) slowly resolves, any external scars go from being pink to the normal skin color, and many firm areas will soften.  Unfortunately, about 10% of rhinoplasty patients will be dissatisfied with their results even after a year.  This mostly has to do with the prominence of the nose, and the inability of the patient to camoflauge or hide small imperfections.  Although, most dissatisfied patients are in a real hurry to have their nose revised, operating too early can lead to catastrophy. 

Yuba City Plastic Surgeon

Timing of revision

+1

In general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

It is still very soon after your surgery, and it is best to be patient. The final result of a rhinoplasty is not evident for 18-24 months after surgery. Before you consider a revision, you should wait at least one year. Thank you, and best of luck to you.
Dr. Nassif

Timing of Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

One week after surgery, an experienced surgeon, who didn't do your operation, would not be able to accurately describe the final appearance of your nose. Be patient and optimistic! Your nose will change dramatically over the next 6 weeks, and will continue to improve for another 6-12 months. Share your concerns with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty revision timelines

+1

It is not uncommon to have some second thoughts or depression immediately following a rhinoplasty especially when significant changes have been made. It typically takes months for the changes to transpire that are positive in nature. You may eventually like your outcome. In addition, I would follow-up regularly with your rhinoplasty surgeon as there are things that can be done during the healing process. Finally, it is not recommended that you have any revision procedures until close to one year in order to give your nose a chance to heal. I hope this information helps.

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

It takes months for noses to heal after rhinoplasty

+1

It is very common to feel unhappy about your nose a week after rhinoplasty. Many patients feel that way, yet when the swelling goes down further the vast majority are very happy and look back at their unhappiness and realize it was unnecessary. We actually give a graph to patients that shows the typical emotional reactions the weeks following surgery, depression is often one of them. So, give your nose time to heal, you will most likely be happy with the end result.

Web reference: http://revisionrhinoplastyny.com

It is best to wait for at least 6 months before a revision rhinoplasty

+1

At one week after rhinoplasty, the nose is quite swollen and it is difficult for patients to visualize the ultimate appearance of their nose.  Occasionally, non-surgical treatments such as steriod injections to the nose are needed to help this swelling resolve more quickly.  During the first few weeks after any cosmetic procedure, and certainly after rhinopasty, it is common for people to go through a period of depression.  This happens because peole are not accustomed to seeing their noses swollen and bruised.  Also, people are often 'keyed up' before surgery.  As the excitement and anxiety that patients have prior to surgery resolves, it is common for people to be sad and tearful.  Fortunately, this is generally short lived.  The feelings you have are not uncommon and I would suggest that you contact your surgeon and discuss your concerns. 

On rare occasions, small revision procedures are indicated early in the healing process.  The vast majority of times, however, at least 6 months should elapse prior to any revision work as it takes that long for the nose to heal. 

Naples Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.