Unhappy with Rhinoplasty. Should I Remove my Implant? (photo)

I had my first closed rhinoplasty done on March 2nd 2012. I did it because I didn't like my bulbous tip. I wasn't happy with the results. 2 weeks after the surgery the doctor suggested a revision because he admitted that the L shaped implant he used was too long, it was pushing my tip. On March 19th he put a shorter implant & I'm very upset with how my profile looks. The front view is ok but my profile is big, projected & masculine. I prefer my old feminine nose :'( Should I remove the implant?

Implant removal in the Nose

+1

You are still a bit close to your surgery to tell what the final result will be.I would recommend that you allow the swelling to resolve for a few months then make a final decision.

Remove Implant?

+1

Overall at weeks to a number of months post op the nose will look swollen and less than ideal.  It is the tincture of time and the natural healing that must occur before you can accept the nose as healed and having "final result".  The surgeon I am guessing discussed the time course and the healing process you are to expect.  Being discontent at two weeks and making decisions on re-operation is far too hasty.  Unless there is a severe deformity immediately post operatively I would let the nose settle out.  If it is unbearable in your mind it would be a purely peronal decision to remove it.  With time and patience the result may be acceptable for you in the end.  Patience and good discussion with your surgeon is key to make the proper choice.

Michael A. Carron, MD
Detroit Facial Plastic Surgeon

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

Don't subject yourself to repeated surgery before you have enough time to recover from prior surgery. It is a recipe for bad scars and complications. Wait for at least 6 months before considering revision.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Iplant appears too big

+1

Give it time for the swelling to go down and the implant to settle. Without question in 2 months it will be smaller and perhaps to your liking.

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

Asian Rhinoplasty

+1

Sorry to hear about your experience.  Your implant has given you a polly beak deformity and unfortunately I see this more often than I'd like.  This is one of the reasons why I don't like using implants in the nose.  Please confer with a board certified specialist who can better assist you in achieving the results you desire.  Unfortunately, your polly beak will not go away on its own, as long as the implant is still there.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Nose after implant

+1

Alot of the issue may be swelling, but at this point I would give it some time to heal a bit more.  If unhappy it can be remvoed.

Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

Of course, an in-person exam is needed to give you the best advice.  However, the entire nose still appears swollen and no recommendations can be give now.  You should wait several months to let the swelling from back to back surgeries go down.  Only at that time can you really make a decision.  Having a third surgeries in such quick succession can lead to a poor outcome. 

Good luck

David Alessi, MD