What to Do About Unhappy Results From Breast Reduction? (photo)

I am 36 years old and am 5 months post op from a breast reduction (195gm removed from left, 295 removed from right), full anchor lift and implants. My double board certified surgeon placed 425 mentor smooth round high profile implants. Left seems attached to armpit and right seems square like. Both have a very cone like shape and are very tight! Wondering if I should remove them in exchange for a 350 moderate or moderate plus. Rib cage is 29" and I am 5'9" tall. Very unhappy with this look.

Breast Augmentation/Reduction Results?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Without seeing preop  pictures and knowing exactly what your goals were preoperatively, it is not possible to give you an accurate assessment.

However, generally speaking I think your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you. In other words, the degree of breast symmetry present, breast implant placement, incision line healing… all demonstrate good quality work.

I also think that generally the breast augmentation/reduction operation is an excellent operation for patients with specific goals of re-distributing the location of "breast volume" on their chest walls.  For example, for patients who wish to  achieve more upper pole volume and reduce the amount of breast tissue volume inferiorly,  the breast augmentation  (implant) and breast reduction operation combination may be indicated.  Maintaining superior pole volume with breast tissue alone can be very difficult ( if not impossible) long-term. In other words, this operation is not just about adding or subtracting volume to the breasts but about changing the distribution/location of “breast volume” on the chest wall.

It is not a simply performed operation with very many variables involved... again, overall I think your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you. I would suggest that you communicate your concerns with him/her. In the future, revisionary breast surgery may be helpful in achieving your final goals.

Unhappy with results

+1

You should give things more time to heal...probably 3 tp 6 more months and then consider a revision if you are still unhappy.  Things will likely change more as your skin settles and relaxes. It looks like you have a good early result, but need patience.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy Results From Breast Reduction

+1

Sorry for your unhappiness regarding the results. Communication with your surgeon is vital. Review the surgical objectives and the preoperative photos with your surgeon in a calm and patient manner. Indicate what elements are troubling you, and request his input. The surgeon has a vested interest in ensuring you are happy, and should respond well to a constructive discussion of the work.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Unhappy with result

+1

First you need to talk with your surgeon about your concerns and see what he or she recommends. Then, if I were you, I would probably also get a second opinion from another (or more) plastic surgeon(s) certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and then consider what they have all recommended and see what you are comfortable with and what seems to meet your goals best. Good luck to you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with breast reduction/lift/augmentation

+1

Thank you for the photos. It is difficult to give general advise since you do not show your preoperative breast photos. I have a philosophical problem with removal of breast tissue and replacing it with artificial filler like an implant. It sounds that you would done well with a short scar breast lift without implants to give you a natural shape and projection without looking that your implants will burst through your skin.Your implants seem to be placed too high as well. One would expect them to settle this far out from surgery. Talk to your plastic surgeon about your options or seek a second opinion. An in person consultation is important to make the right decision and not keep having multiple breast surgeries. Good luck.

George Marosan, MD
Bellevue Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with breasts (photo)

+1

Difficult to advise you, in my opinion, without examination, and speaking with you to find out each feature you don't like, and then formulate a plan to fix each problem.  The practice of removing normal breast tissue and replacing with implant is based on logic that eludes me. You've achieved a net increase of 130 gms/cc's on your right side, about nine tablespoons, and 230 gms/cc's on the left, the size of a very small implant.  In general, the more breast tissue you have over the implant, the more natural will breast shape and texture be.

Steve Laverson, MD