Unhappy with the Results of Tummy Tuck: Still Have Loose Skin

I know it's only been six weeks but I am feeling really depressed with the results of my tummy tuck so far. Looking back I wish there was better communication with my surgeon. The one thing I always did stress was just make sure you get all the skin. Then I just trusted that the surgeon was the professional and they would do what they needed to get the desired result. Which is what they said was included in my price. What can I do? I really don't have any more money to put into this.

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Probably needed a Full Tummy Tuck

+1

It looks as though you had a mini tummy tuck, and most likely no muscle tightening.  I think a full tummy tuck would have provided better skin tightening.  Full tummy tuck also allows tightening of the muscles above as well as below your belly button.  Also, your scar would need to go as far as the wrinkles that you see in your skin when you bend over like in the side photo that you included, but I know that patients always want their scar as short as possible.  But a longer scar provides more tightening and a better result in my opinion.   I would discuss your dissatisfaction with your surgeon

Web reference: http://www.DiscoverTheBeauty.com

Full tummy tuck vs mini tummy tuck

+3

I can't be entirely sure from the postop photo with you standing but it looks like you don't have a scar around your belly button.  Maybe I am mistaken but if you don't. then I would believe you only had a mini tummy tuck which doesn't remove nearly as much skin as a full tummy tuck.  Check with your doctor which you had and ask what was the misunderstanding.

Tummy tuck removes more skin than mini-tummy tuck

+2

If you did in fact have a mini-tummy tuck instead of a traditional  tummy tuck, this could explain why you still have excess skin. This should have been discussed in detail and communicated clearly with your surgeon prior to surgery. You could always have more skin removed in the future, however, I would not do anything for about one year the allow the skin to heal and the blood supply to reconstitute.

Consult with your plastic surgeona again and explain your concerns.

Dr.Bruno

Web reference: http://www.williambrunomd.com

Tummy tuck Revision

+1

It's difficult to say without examination but if you had a mini-tummy tuck without muscle repair, that may be the reason for the results.  You should go and discuss with your surgeon.  Many patients ask for a mini-tummy tuck because they don't want the long incision, but they need to understand that the results will be limited.  Muscle repair is key to the hard, flat tummy that most patients are looking for after abdominoplasty surgery.

I perform abdominoplasty surgery on a regular basis and always instruct my patients that I will do my best to remove as much as possible without causing problems post-operatively -- we do have limitations during surgery and for my practice, safety is key.

Web reference: http://www.thesandiegoplasticsurgeon.com

+1

Thanks Dr Rand for stating what I was also thinking. It appears from the poorly exposed photos you only had a mini TT not a full. Seems something was lost in translation between you and your surgeon. 

Loose skin after tummy tuck

+1

There are several different techniques of performing tummy tucks, and it is possible that your surgery involved a more limited operation with a shorter scar, which may not have removed all the extra skin. Several factors determine which procedure is best for which patient. If you are not satisfied with your surgery you should discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Tummy Tuck ? Mini?

+1

I cannot tell by looking at the photo but the first question I would ask is if you had a full or mini tummy tuck.  I do not see a scar around your belly button and it appears you had a mini tuck.  If so that would explain your concerns.  If you had a full tummy tuck, it appears that not enough skin was removed and/or the muscles were not tightened.  A mini tuck is not as effective as a full in removing skin.  Discuss this with your surgeon.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

You may had mini tuck

+1

You still have excess skin and may need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon. You have abdominal bulging with sitting position and that indicates no muscle repair or minimal repair.

New Orleans Plastic Surgeon