Unhappy with myself - scar revision? (photos)

When I was 3 years old, I had abdominal and internal surgery due to a traumatic event that left me with a large 6 inch verticle scar and two small dimple-like scars from tubes. I am now almost 18 and this has made me unhappy and self conscious my entire life. I am making a big move in a couple months and would like to start looking into my options for revision. What should my realistic expectations be and what kind of costs should I expect? I weigh 105 and I am going to meet with local surgeons.

Scar revision with Embrace

+2
I would suggest a scar revision with the use of the product Embrace.  This product is currently only available to Plastic surgeons.  It has been studied and shown to be effective in reducing the width and visible appearance of scars!

Revising an old scar

+2
To address your scar, you need to consider what is involved.  Once you have a scar, it will never go away but it can be made less obvious.  In your situation, a scar revision would involve excising the scar to give you a new one.  However, your existing scar seems to have healed well: relatively smooth line, pale colour.  A revision will lead to a visible reddish discolouration that will take time to fade.  The improvement could be in making the scar a straighter line.  However there is a risk that it may not heal well and lead to a widened scar or a hypertrophic scar.  I would recommend that you let it be.  It almost looks like a really good muscle definition!

Sincerely,

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD