Unhappy with Areola Size 4 Months Post Augmentation/lift, Possible to Reduce Them Further?

I asked my ps to reduce the areola size and I do believe he did but not enough, or maybe they stretched back out from the implants. If I wanted to ask him to reduce the areolas further, would it normally count as a revision cost or a whole new surgery fee? They measure about 5 cm now (not much smaller than they were before but at least somewhat more proportional with larger breasts) and I would prefer them to be in the 3.5-4 range.

Large Areolas

+1

the fear with further reduction of the size of the areola is that as more of it is removed, it increases the tension on the wound closure, and that can lead to a wider scar. In some cases, an attempt to reduce the areola does yield a smaller areola but then also a wider scar around the edge, ultimately with the same size, or even wider.

Areolar reduction after augmentation

+1

Yes, your areolas can be further reduced with the placement of a permanent purse string suture around the areola.  If this was done at the time of your augmentation then the pressure caused by the increase in volume from the implant has caused them to stretch out a bit.  Talk to your plastic and get his/her input to resolve your disappointment.  I am sure your plastic surgeon wants you to be pleased with your results. 

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy w/ Areola Size 4 Mo. Post Augmentation/lift, Possible to Reduce Them Further? Answer:

+1

I generally do not charge for this type of revision and I do it in the office under local anesthesia. I use a permanent suture and method as described by Dr. Dennis Hammond in Grand Rapids, and while it is a far from perfect technique, it seems to have the least amount of problems…But if you do this, take it easy for a few weeks after as the stitch can break if you are not careful!!!

John J. Corey, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Reducing areola size

+1

If the areolas are rather tight than I would not try to reduce them. The only thing that's going to happen is for them to stretch out and flatten more. 4-5 cm diameter is normal.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Areolar spread post breast augmentation

+1

Areolar reduction can easily be done under local in an office setting.  Discuss your disappointment with your plastic surgeon and work through this issue.  Generally plastic surgeons are interested in meeting your expectations.  Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Size Doesn't Matter

+1

The size doesn't matter much in the case.  The size you state is standard especially if you had a breast augmentation.  The more important issue is if they are similar in size and equal in position.  They, however, can always be reduced if you truly do not like the size.  If it is included in the primary surgery depends on you and the plastic surgeon.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Areola Reduction

+1

It is very common for an areola to increase in size after an augmentation.  5 cm is not too large, but a smaller areola can be more attractive and youthful.  A reduction in this is fairly simple, but must be confirmed by an formal consultation. Also, this involves a scar that extends around the entire areola itself.  Discuss this with your surgeon, but unless a permanent suture is used, you can see the areola return to a larger than intended size.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Unhappy with the extent of reduction in areola size following a mastopexy augmentation

+1

The size your areolas are right now are well within an acceptable range though you did not provide information including their size preoperatively, photos or what general size that you wanted them to be. Regardless, they can be reduced further in size if you really want them smaller but there are several issues to consider including effects on the shape of your breast, widened and irregular scars, and irreversibly reduced sized areolas that may then appear disproportionately small.

Cost, if any, is an issue that is between you and your plastic surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Areola large again after reduction with implants

+1

It is very common for the areola to stretch out again after reduction with a breast implant. The relapse is caused by the pressure of the implant behind. If your surgeon is willing, it can be reduced again and a blocking suture placed to reduce the re stretching. Look at your result over all. The 5cm is good, 4cm perhaps better for your breast and chest size. Just be certain that revision is worth it.

peterejohnsonmd

5 is normal

+1

You have normal diameter areola. Best advice is to leave them alone. They can always stretch out again .

William B. Rosenblatt, MD