Unfavorable Side Effects with Ultratine Endo Brow. What's Your Opinion?

My plastic surgeon uses Ultratine for endo brow lift. I've read some bad reviews with this product and makes me uneasy about the possible side effects. Little horns poking thru the scalp and pain, itching even after 8-12 mos. I mostly have droopy brow on outside ends of brow & I know I need an upper bleph. Should I just have the bleph, even though surgeon recommends endo brow? Any other techniques for endo brow with less complications?

Endotine devices for brow lift

+1

I stopped using endotine years ago for the following reasons:

• They can be felt as a firm bump for months after surgery
  • They add a significant cost to the surgery which is passed on to the patient
  • They show no benefit to other methods of fixation (i.e. bone tunnel)

Are endotines needed for a brow lift

+1

i do not use endotines.   an experienced surgeon will get great results using many other methods including plain sutures.  drill holes, dissolving screw, titanium screws  or nothing can all be used

Securing an Endoscopic Browlift without Ultra/Endo tines

+1

Judging from your description, you have lateral brow hooding, and skipping the brow lift in favor of aggressive upper eyelid surgery alone is unlikely to give you the best possible cosmetic result.

The key to an effective endoscopic brow lift is safe and appropriate release/repositioning of the entire drooping forehead and scalp to create the appropriate brow shape without "tension" holding the brows up. The anchoring device is entirely secondary, and maybe even totally unnecessary!

Rather than skipping the brow lift altogether to avoid the Ultratine device, request your surgeon use a different anchoring method - bone tunnels, biomet bone plug, external fixation screw, or bioglue. All of these techniques are well within the skill set of an accomplished endobrow surgeon, and none use the Ultratine device.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

I think it is best to avoid Ultratine for brow lift.

+1

Hi.

As you say they can have problems, and you don't need them.  You probably don't need an endo brow at all, from your description.  The lateral subcutaneous brow lift is a benign and non invasive procedure that lifts the outside (lateral) of the brows.  Also this goes well with an upper bleph.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)