Is an Uneven Waistline After Tummy Tuck Normal?

I had a tummy tuck with lipo of the flanks 12 days ago, but the shape on my waistline are uneven. One side is more curvy than the other. Could it be swelling? I'm so scared it will stay like this.

Asymmetry after tummy tuck

+3

This is commonly seen soon after a tummy tuck with liposuction of flanks. Express your concerns with your surgeon and see that your garment is properly fitting. You may benefit from some foam underneath the garment also.

Dr.Bruno

12 days out of surgery

+3

There are so many factors that may be causing the issues that you are talking about especially because you are only 12 days out from surgery.  Allow your body time to heal properly and keep in good communication with your surgeon.  A tummy tuck surgery can take months until you see the final results... the scars take up to 1 year to mature.

Be patient... Recover ... keep your post op appointments with your surgeon.

Asymmetry after tummy tuck and liposuction

+3

At 12 days out from surgery, it is very early in the normal healing process, and some asymmetry is normal. It is most likely due to uneven swelling between the two sides. You should discuss any concerns with your plastic surgeon during your post-operative appointments.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Asymmetry after Tummy Tuck

+3

The asymmetry could be due to swelling, residual fat after liposuction or in some cases asymmetry of pelvic bone.  Also, you may have dogear on oneside which your surgeon will most likely adress once the swelling has subsided.  I suggest you discuss the above possibilities with your surgeon.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)