Uneven Swelling 3 Months After Septo-rhino

I had a complicated septo-rhino over 3 months ago. Immediately after the cast came off, I noticed uneven swelling in my nostrils (right side much bigger), my nose shifted to left, hanging columella, and what seems to be a hard protrusion on the right side. My surgeon had been insisting that these are due to swelling. But now he admits that this may not be the case, and I may need a revision, but have to wait until the one-year mark. Any advice/suggesting? Thanks.

Uneven Swelling 3 Months after Septorhinoplasty

+1

I agree with your surgeon's advice. It sounds like he/she is concerned about your nose and will work with you to achieve a good result.

Your asymmetrical nostrils appear to be from a deviated nasal septum.

+1

I read your concerns and reviewed your photos. You can see on the base view, and your frontal view, a smaller nostril on your left, and this may be due to deviation of the bottom of your septum to your left. Your front view otherwise looks good: the "hard protrusion" on the right side of your tip may improve with time. Your hanging columella will not likely improve with time.

You should sit tight for another 3 months. If you're dissatisfied 6 months after your surgery, you could start interviewing revision rhinoplasty specialists to address your concerns.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry 3 Months After Rhinoplasty

+1

I agree with your surgeon, 3 months is too early to make decisions on what needs to be done.

It appears that some adjustments to the caudal septum will improve the hanging columella and nostril asymmetry, but it is best to wait 12 months to make these changes. 

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon