Lump on Nose After Rhinoplasty

I had a closed Rhinoplasty 12 days ago, cast off 6 days ago. Per my doctor's instructions, I've been taping my nose daily since the cast removal. My tip is still very swollen, and the last couple of days, I've noticed a lump forming on the right side of my nose, just below the bridge. I'm worried that this is permanent. Is it scar tissue or something? Could this just be uneven swelling?

Lump on bridge After Rhinoplasty

+2

During the first several weeks following rhinoplasty, the normal post-operative swelling of the nasal soft tissue envelope can fluctuate. If you are seeing a persistent, localized area that concerns you, give your surgeon the opportunity to examine your nose and correctly diagnose the problem.

Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give it time and communicate your concerns to your surgeon

+2

Most likely this is simply normal healing, but give yourself and your body some time to heal. Don't be afraid to voice your concerns to your surgeon-- often times, you'll feel a lot better hearing from him directly that all is going well.

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Too early to know

+1

Since it has only been 12 days since your rhinoplasty surgery, it is impossible to tell whether or not the small bump that you are noticing is going to be temporary or permanent. One needs to wait at least six months before any determination can be made, and probably one year before any revision surgery would be undertaken.

Ask your rhinoplasty surgeon

+1

Your nasal surgeon will most likely be able to tell you what this lump may be. We can only speculate but s/he will know whether it is swelling, a remaining nasal bump, edge of a cartilage graft, etc.. Because you are obviously concerned about this, I would recommend to contact your surgeon to share his insight so that you feel more at ease.

Frank P. Fechner, MD
Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best advice from your nose surgeon

+1

You are still very early along in the healing process at this point. There are many things that could give you this type of swelling depending upon the type of rhinoplasty that was performed, if the nasal bones were fractured, was your nose crooked etc. Most likely it is just swelling but your surgeon is in the best position to understand what is going on and to give you the best advice.

Lumps after Rhinoplasty

+1

Since you are only 2 weeks after Rhinoplasty, it is difficult to sort out what is swelling or scar tissue or a cartilage lump. It is common to notice some small lumps as the early swelling resolves and taping is a good idea. It is best to wait 6 to 12 months for the swelling to resolve to determine if any adjustments are needed. However, if there are unacceptable visible lumps, irregularities or asymmetry a hyaluronic filler may be appropriate to smooth things out until your healing is complete.

Daniel Reichner, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Too early too tell what lump on nose is

+1

Sometimes, simple things like sleeping with your head to one side can cause greater swelling on that side. Other times, small collections of blood will form at the site of the bone cuts (osteotomies), which will resolve over time. As everyone else has recommended, take a deep breath, don't be overly concerned about day-to-day changes but express and voice your concerns to your surgeon when you become aware of them.

Lump on Nose Shortly After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Luv,

Your best course of action is to contact your rhinoplasty surgeon for evaluation as soon as possible. Your surgeon will be able to diagnose what the lump is, and the best treatment.

The lump can be caused by many factors including uneven swelling, graft displacement, periosteal inflammation at the osteotomy site, and other reasons.

In the meantime,Luv, try to be as truthful as possible to avoid having your nose grow. Sorry for the terrible Pinochhio reference.

I hope that your bump resolves quickly and spontaneously, but do visit your surgeon.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Needs more time

+1

Some of the things you are noting are very normal after a rhinoplasty. The tip will always have some swelling and firmness that may take up to one year to return to normal. The lump you have noticed is something that will need to be observed as you heal. Bring this to the attention of your surgeon and unless there is something very unusual the answer will be to give it time and let it heal.
I hope you have nice result when you are are all healed.

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon

Too soon to worry

+1

This early in the healing, there is swelling and you are no where near being healed. It actually takes at least a year to get to the final healing point from a rhinoplasty. Your doctor wouldn't have ended the surgery with a bump still present so work closely with them to see this through to its resolution. Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS