Uneven Swelling Post Breast Implants Operation

I had breast implants done 6 days ago. One breast is noticeably more swollen than the other. My doctor said it was fine yesterday, but im still concerned. Is this normal?

Difficult to say without examining you

+2

After reading your description, 2 things come to mind-- either you are healing just fine and your uneven swelling is just that (swelling, and nothing else) which will resolve on its own, or you may have a collection of fluid or blood, called a hematoma. The first option is normal and nothing to be concerned about, the second however needs to be addressed by your surgeon, and often times that hematoma needs to be drained.

You surgeon is the best person to speak to about this, and I would certainly advise doing so especially if you notice that the unevenness is getting more noticeable (for example, one breast seems to be getting bigger).

Good luck,

Dr. S

Breast implant swelling

+2

Thanks for your question -

At this early stage it is most likely normal post-operative swelling. Other things to be concerned about would include a hematoma or a seroma. These should be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.

It is more likely that small differences in symmetry are due to post-operative changes. These should improve with additional time.

Steven H. Williams, MD

Swelling can be asymmetric

+2

Many things can be causing asymmetric swelling only 6 days after surgery and only your surgeon will know if it is of a degree to be concerned.  A hematoma or seroma can cause this or it can be a magnification of your own preop asymmetry.  Stick close to your doctor and follow their advice. 

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

+1
It is normal to have swelling post breast augmentation, and swelling may be more severe on one side than the other. Consult with your surgeon to ensure that you do not have a hematoma or seroma, and that you are healing as expected as he or she knows the specifics about you and the scope of the surgery.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Asymmetric swelling

+1

Asymmetric swelling of the breasts can suggest a hematoma. However the majority of the time if it is only a minor difference just means that it is normal post-op sweling. Seeing your doctor and following closely is always a good sign.

You may have a hematoma.

+1

To cici123,

Hi. Both of your breasts should look the same. This is potentially serious. I would recommend getting a sonogram of your swollen breast soon. The sonogram will tell you if you have a hematoma (collection of blood), or a seroma (collection of liquid) in your breast.

If you have a collection (unless it is really tiny), it needs to be removed, because otherwise you have a much higher risk of that breast getting hard.

Hope it is nothing! but I would check.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

This is a question for your doctor

+1

On the internet we can not give you the absolute correct answer. The physician treating you has to tell you what is correct. Asymmetry has many causes, some normal and some abnormal. Relax and see and listen to your physician.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

It depends...

+1

Certain swelling indicates complications such as hematoma. But assuming your doctor is not concerned about compications, then yes, asymmetric swelling and bruising is the norm. Assuming there is not a serious complication, 6 days is way too soon to assess your results. Give it at least 4-6 weeks to judge critically.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD