Dog Ears a Complication of Eyelid Surgery?

It's been 8 weeks since surgery, white bumps on lids, uneven visible stitches and worst the pockets at edge of eye. Under eye bags and still the tear trough that I went through all this to get rid of. He's saying we won't know until 6 months is up. By then I'lll have lost the 6 months and need another 6 months to heal after corrective surgery that he now says is possible. Not anywhere have I heard of this complication. He readily had a name for the pockets at corner, dog ears. Future?

Eyelid revision sometimes necessary

+1

Eyelid surgery will cause extensive swelling and irregularities in the tissues that will take 6 months to settle down. Minor revisions are common and can be performed under a local anesthetic in an office setting. Dog ears, or extra skin at the end of the incision can be treated by simple excision.

Small white cysts, called milia, are very common from eyelid surgery. They are caused by the sutures and are easily treated by unroofing them with a needle in the office, no anesthesia is necessary.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

After eyelid surgery it is possible to get dog ears

+1

After eyelid surgery it is possible to get dog ears or an irregularity in the area of the incision. I usually recommend waiting 3 months and often massaging the incision will help. If it’s a significant irregularity sometimes we will do surgery but waiting 6 months is certainly not a bad thing to do. Often massaging the area of the incision will help. But, conservative treatment after surgery is often best because it allows the body to heal itself.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

"dog ears" after upper eyelid surgery

+1

Without pictures, one cannot know if you truly have dog ears or not.  Often times, I see patients who complain of this who really have brow ptosis or droopiness that needs to be corrected by a forehead lift.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Dog ears are uncommon after eyelid surgery

+1

Whenever skin is excised, re-closing the incision line will generate a pucker, dart, or "dog ear". The longer the incision line is made, the gentler the tapering of the skin, and the littler the dog ear. In other words, dog ears are less common with long, generous incision line planning; however, the trade off is longer scars!

Surgeons balance these plusses and minuses by trying to split the difference, leaving the shortest possible scar and ideally no dog ear, or a tiny one that will settle with time as the skin heals.

At eight weeks, if the dog ears are truly minimal, they may continue to settle. If they are more severe, it is probably worth trading them for a longer incision line, as eyelid skin incision lines generally heal very well. The bruising and swelling from the revision surgery will be nowhere close to the original recovery.

Laxmeesh Mike Nayak, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

After Eye Lid lift the patients part of the bargain is to be patient. Period.

+1

After surgery you must be patient.  At 8 weeks you have far to go. When you enter into a surgecal procedure your part of the bargain is patience.   Wait the 6 months and much that worries you will go.  If you need a tiny touch up, I am sure you surgeon will accommodate.  Do not have any procedure till the 6 months, at the very, least is up. You will be fine.  Good luck.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Surgery / Blepharoplasty

+1

Without seeing before and after pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you specific advice or guidance.  If there is still loose skin, then you may need a revision.  8 weeks after surgery is too early for a revision as the swelling likely is not completely resolved and the tissues have not completely settled.  I would agree that 6 months is an appropriate amount of time to wait for a revision.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

+1

At 8 weeks, if you still have dog ears, I would correct them if you were my patient.  The tear trough area can be treated with fillers- either your own fat or juvederm.  White bumps- milia- are easily corrected during your office visit, much like a white head is extracted.  Visit your surgeon and see if he/she will listen to your requests for earlier intervention!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgey

+1

Small round white bumps are usually milia and they can be unroofed gently with a needle. The corners if you have dog ears may settle as the swelling subsides. But you shoudl wait sevearl months before revision.

Dog ears after upper eyelid surgery

+1

The healing process may take 6-9 months and 8 weeks after surgery, the wound is healing and difficult to make a judgement on the outcome. Small round white bumps may be what we call millia. They basically white cysts that can be easily removed with a needle. Follow up with your surgeon.

Mohsen Tavoussi, MD, DO
Huntington Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty Healing

+1

I think healing after a blepharoplasty can take months but usually things are visibly improved by a month or so.  Excess skin at the corners can sometimes occur, but it is fairly simple to correct in most cases. 

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon