Is there Treatment for uneven Skin Tone from Mosquito Bite Scars?

I have multiple mosquito bite scars on my legs and hands that are permanent since young. Now, the skin tone is uneven with white and dark patchesand it spans over a large area. Is this a case of PIH? Is there any treatment that is effective in curing and correcting the skin tone?

Treatment for Misquito Bite Scars?

+1

Hello Happi.  It's hard to tell from the pictures if you have more brown pigment or white areas.  If there is significant brown discoloration from bug bites then you should look into either hydroquinone bleaching agents or q-switched laser treatments to remove the dark color.  We use both.

As for the hypopigmentation (white areas), we do not have a good solution for you.  Unfortunately, those normally remain.

Uneven skin tone after mosquito bites

+1

Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation/hypopigmentation is usually limited to the area of the previous inflammation.  It really doesn't span large areas.

The picture that you posted does not look like PIH from mosquito bites.  Those are usually discrete.  The photo shows mottled pigmentation that is diffuse, although it is difficult to make it out completely.

This could potentially be chronic sun damage, which can result in large areas of both hyper and hypopigmentation, but there are also a number of skin conditions that can do that.

I recommend an evaluation by a dermatologist, who can examine you more closely.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon