Uneven Results 5 Months After Lift with Implants? (photo)

I am 5 months post op from silicone breast implants with a vertical lift. I recieved 397cc's in each breast under the muscle. I've become quite concerned with my results. It seems one has dropped lower than the other and it starting to point outward. I would greatly appreciate your opinions and find out what my options are.

Changes to breasts after lift and implant

+2

From your photos you do have a noticeable asymmetry that has progressed over time. It seems like your end result may be the combination of the right breast elevating with a "capsule" and the left breast "settling" to a greater degree that desired. This combination accentuates the end asymmetry. All of this would need to be confirmed in person, but it is likely that a revision surgery can help improve the appearance and symmetry of your breasts. You would likely need the right capsule to be released to some degree and the lift tightened. Also the left breast has more volume and some additional removal could be warranted.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through and in-person consultation.

Vincent Marin, MD

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation/Lifting?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is visible in the pictures provided. Your plastic surgeon will be in the best position to determine the cause of the breast asymmetry. Early encapsulation should be ruled out (physical examination).

If the breast asymmetry is related to the breast implant pockets and/or breast implant settling, revisionary breast surgery may be necessary at some point.

Again, I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Best wishes

You show the problem with vertical lifts

+2

From your front photo, it doesn't look to me like you have "bottomed out" in which the left implant goes below the inframammary crease.  You simply look to me like the vertical distance of skin from the crease to the areola is longer on the left than the right.  This was probably the case preop and the problem with a vertical only lift is that this kind of asymmetry is common because you can't properly deal with the skin excess without a crease scar.  A revision with a crease scar on your left might be all you need.

The other photo is a different story where the asymmetry is more pronounced.  From that view, bilateral revisions might be needed.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Asymmetric breasts

+2

Asymmetry between two brests is quite common.  Overall they look pretty good. Yes, I see the different heights,but they are also different sizes. Seeing pre-ops would be helpful.

Uneven Results 5 Months After Lift with Implants?

+2

Thanks for the posted photos, they really help. I partially agree with Dr Khoobehi as you may need a revision. But if your befores view of your breast were very asymmetric than your result is acceptable. 

You will need revision to correcet the bottoming out

+2

You have uneven breast and this is very common post lift and implant. Your surgeon should be able to fix it. You need to have right implant lowered and left implant pocket revised.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

5 months after breast lift with implants need for revision surgery

+1

I agree with Dr. Marin! It seems that you have developed a capsular contracture on the right breast and the left breast has bottomed out and needs a inferior capsulorraphy with or with out a ADM for support. The right breast capsule will need either a capsulotomy or capsulectomy with new implant.

See an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for future evaluation.

Good luck

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Bottoming out

+1

Dr. Marin's answer is right on.  Unfortunately, it is not uncommon to develop breast asymmetry following augmentation/lift procedures.  The surgeon who performed your procedure is obviously talented and quite capable of working with you to achieve a result that will be pleasing.  However, it requires exact diagnosis so that each issue can be dealt with.  Please follow up with your doctor and let him/her formulate a plan with you.  There is no reason to believe that your surgeon is not good just because this happened to you.  Best of luck. 

David Marcus, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon