Uneven Results After Breast Augmentation? (photo)

Im 3mo. postop & I've noticed my breasts are VERY uneven & the left side feels firmer too.My stats are:460L & 440R moderate plus saline unders w/ crease incision.I just had my 3mo.apt. & my PS informed me they were finished settling & I wouldn't see anymore changes. He said its b/c of how they were before but to me they don't seem THIS uneven before. Does it still need to drop or did the R side drop too far? Will they ever get more similar in size & position or is this what they'll be like?

Asymmetry after breast augmentation

+1

Your initial results after surgery look pretty good. Starting at about 4 weeks the asymmetry appears to get increasingly worse. I think what you are seeing is early contracture on the left and/or deflation of the left implant.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

+1

Yes you were asymmetric before the operation to shape and volume. The left needs either more size, like 50 cc's, or fat grafting to attain a more equal appearance. 

Asymmetry post aug.

+1

saline implants are commonly used to correct asymmetry, as much as possible. I dont know what the capacity of your implants is, but sometimes the volume can be increased in the implant in the smaller breast. I wait 6 months before I will try to use the existing implant, or go to a larger implant then the one in the larger breast and switch them out. correction of asymmetry can require more then 20 ccs and is best determined on the operating table in the sitting position.

Terry A. Cromwell, MD (retired)
Lafayette Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry after breast augmentation with saline implants

+1

As you say, your photos do reveal dropping of the right breast implant. It is only 3 months. It looks like the space around the right implant is larger, and may benefit from tightening, but this would need to be confirmed with an examination in-person by a board-certified plastic surgeon. It looks like you have settled in each photo fairly significantly, and looks like you should wait to see because you really may settle further. The surgeon who placed the implants should be able to provide you guidance on how to attain better symmetry, but I think you should give this more time.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Uneven after breast augmentation

+1

Usually asymmetry after breast augmentation can be traced to volume differences or differences in the breast skin envelope. Your before picture just doesn't show anything that clearly indicates why you are as asymmetric as you are now. Things might change after another six months, but you just might need another exam and opinion to sort things out.

Breast asymmetry can be well corrected.

+1

Hi.

1)The right implant looks too low and slightly too large.  Your surgeon is right that things will not change much.  You may want a revision in another few months.

2)The best way to prevent asymmetry DURING surgery is to sit the patient up (you are still asleep, of course), and insert sterile implant SIZERS (disposable implants) into your breasts.  That eliminates all the guess work.  If the size and symmetry are great, then you open the real implants.  Otherwise, you keep working.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Providing your preoperative picture is very helpful.

Reviewing your description and set of photographs, make me think that you and your plastic surgeon may both be “right”. Your right breast does appear to be naturally lower on your chest wall compared to left.  As you mentioned, the right breast implants seems to be lower on your chest wall compared to the left. This lower breast implant position on your chest wall ( right side) is probably the reason why your right breast seems larger. I have noted this phenomenon many times in my practice;  as one breast implants settles lower on the chest wall, it does tend to make the entire breast seem larger.

At this point, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Express your concerns in a calm and constructive fashion; hopefully you will be able to work together to come up with a plan to improve breast symmetry.  Possibilities include talking pocket breast implant adjustment surgery ( capsulorrhaphy)  and/or the use of different  size of breast implants…