Uneven Nostrils and Leaning Nose After Rhinoplasty?

I am almost 5 months post-op and my nostrils are still uneven and do not seem to be evening out. I am unhappy with it and am wondering what could have caused this and what are the chances it will even up?

You do not appear to have significant nostril asymmetry after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+2

I read your concern and reviewed the photos you posted. Your photos do not appear to demonstrate significant nostril asymmetry, and your nose does not appear to lean off center. You should address your concerns with your surgeon or consider getting a second opinion from a certified, reputable rhinoplasty specialist near you. You can check abfprs.org to find a list of local certified facial plastic surgeons.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Regards from NJ.

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Assymmetry

+2

It's not uncommon to have some asymmetry in this area especially if it was there before. You are looking good though and should wait for more healing to occur. 

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1

Looking at the base of your nose, I suspect that your nostrils were uneven before your rhinoplasty. If not your surgeon, who knows what was done during your operation, can best answer your question at this time. Wait another 6-8 months to see fi this does improve before considering a revision.

Uneven nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1

For the nostrils to change from their pre Rhinoplasty shape, the tip cartilages that directly dictate the nostril shape had to be modified. This is something that you will need to ask your surgeon as he/she is the only one that knows what was done during your Rhinoplasty. IMHO at 5 months, your right nostril is unlikely to rotate upwards so that it matches the left.

Nostril assymerty after rhinoplasty

+1

I can notice the assymetry because you mentioned it, but over all, the nostrils are not significatly different. I suggest you wait a full year before doing any procedure.

Maurice M. Khosh, MD

Uneven nostrils are a tough problem

+1

Unfortunately, nostril asymmetry is a known risk of rhinoplasty.  Your nostrils are a bit asymmetric but it's pretty minor in my opinion.  Have you discussed this with your surgeon?  Depending on what techniques were used, there may be some improvement possible with a minor revision.  Prior to that, there may be some improvement available via stenting the smaller nostril open at night or by performing exercises to stretch the nostril in certain ways.  It's tough to tell without examining you if that is a good option.  Good luck.

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon