Uneven nostrils extra cartilage after 5 days of rhinoplasty?

Hello, I had an open rhinoplasty 5 days ago and I've noticed one nostril appears bigger than another. Columella appears to have uneven one side - more cartilage than another and that extra cartilage is hard when I touch it with a q-tip. I was wondering will it go away within some time ?

Nostril asymmetry common after surgery

+1
I would definitely recommend discussing with your surgeon.  It is very early after surgery and the swelling can cause significant distortion of the nostrils and other structures.  Be patient and expect things to improve with time.

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1
At 5 days after surgery, it is too early to tell. Usually there is a lot of swelling . If you had a columella strut, the tip of columella may feel firm.

Uneven nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1
It's very common to have uneven swelling early on after rhinoplasty.  Sometimes the nostrils do indeed appear uneven especially after only 5 days.  It's quite typical, and I wouldn't over-analyze things at this point.  There is a long way to go in your recovery.  Best of luck.

A. Joshua Zimm, MD

Early changes after rhinoplasty

+1
Early changes after a rhinoplasty are hard to assess. The nose can continue to change shape in several different areas. It is too early to make any determinations and then intervene at 5 days after surgery. Even if there is a residual deformity, it might get better or worst over the next 3 months. Its best to wait. Also, for the nostrils it is important to remember that nobody looks at the nostrils from below other than the patient. This means that socially speaking it usually is not an issue.
Regards

Dr. J
Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven five days after rhinoplasty

+1
We would expect concerns such as yours at five days. These issues work themselves out for most. The Q-tip is not such a good idea and just might cause bleeding.

+1
It is too early to make a determination about the final result.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Open Rhinoplasty Complaint

+1
Yes, you need to give the nose time to heal and the swelling to resolve. It takes 3 days for maximal swelling so you are far from the final result. Consult you surgeon, trust the guidance, and be patient.

Best wishes

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon