Uneven Nostrils with Closed Rhinoplasty? (photo)

i had a closed rhinoplasty 3 1/2 weeks ago. i have my bridge worked on and narrowing of the tip. i didnt have a hump or a bump but a very slight curve, i think maybe a C shaped deformity? my nostrils from the bottom view look even but face on one seems higher than the other. i looked at old photos and it wasnt like this before. is it just uneven swelling? how much do the nostrils swell with a closed rhinoplasty. i was told that would clsoed rhinoplasty the nostrils shouldnt be affected.
update: 5-21-12
5 weeks Post Op; What are the chances that what i am seeing is my septum shifting back? and if so, is it possible it can be worse than pre op? how easy is it is to get this corrected?

Uneven Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Marmar,

Based on your photos and taking into consideration where you stand down the line of recovery, it is early to assess you final results.

I can see what you are pointing at with your descriptions and so you have to be a little more patient letting nature take its course so the irregularities can get resolved.

Usually, it takes about 12 months post op to establish the final results of a rhinoplasty and you are almost there. 

In case you end up with results you do not like then a revision procedure could be planned to adjust the asymmetry.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the revision surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.

I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Alar base asymmetry following rhinoplasty.

+1

Asymmetry of the nostrils and nasal base is possible following both an open and a closed approach to rhinoplasty.  The most common cause of this is a pre-existing asymmetry that can be accentuated by surgery.  The postop photo you have provided suggests nostril base asymmetry.  The preop photo, however, is slightly rotated and you are smiling making an apple-to-apple comparison difficult.  Hopefully, your surgeon has a standardized frontal view which can serve as a baseline for comparison once all the swelling has subsided.  At that time a revision procedure can be undertaken if you desire.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS, FRCSC.

Mario J. Imola, MD, DDS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Will a Breast Lift/Implant Eliminate the Extra Skin Below my Armpit Beside my Breasts?

+1

Most of the posters responses have been either prep asymmetry or swelling. So best to wait it out for 6 months before deciding if you have a real issue that needs further surgery. 

Uneven Nostrils with Closed Rhinoplasty?

+1

I really suspect that the nostril size was uneven before the Rhinoplasty but in the pre-op picture the tip is under rotated and as such, you just don't notice it.  I think you have a nice result but as always feel free to ask your Rhinoplasty Surgeon about any issues you may have with your nose during the post Rhinoplasty healing phase.  

Time & Rhinoplasty

+1

The recommendation of using "time" and appropriate follow-ups are good ideas.  Three & one half weeks from surgery is just the beginning.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and nasal asymmetry

+1

Hello and thank you for the question.

Nasal alar asymmetry is definitely a possibility following rhinoplasty surgery.  While I can appreciate the asymmetry of your nostrils in the post-procedural photo, the pre-procedural photo is not very revealing at the angle is not optimal.  Having said that, you are quite early from a surgical standpoint in your healing process. My recommendation would be to give your nose ample time to heal and follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

Asymmetrical Nostrils Post Closed Rhinoplasty

+1

Your nostril margins do look asymmetrical but this may be secondary to swelling just 3.5 weeks after your rhinoplasty. The nostrils can be affected if the lower lateral (tip) cartilages are changed regardless of whether a closed or open approach is used. At this time all you can do is be patient as swelling resolves.

Revision rhinoplasty works.

+1

Hi.

Your left nostril does look lower and larger, but it has been less than a month since surgery.  This may look a lot better in six months.  So be optimistic.  You can always have a revision later.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Swelling after a rhinoplasty...

+1

Despite having a closed rhinoplasty, tip swelling can still be a problem.  On the other hand tip asymmetry could also be a result of a lower laterals. My best advice would be to see your surgeon.

William Franckle, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Asymmetry of nose

+1

Being that you are only a few weeks out from surgery, there may very well be asymmetric swelling. Give it some time to settle down.  Goodl uck.