Uneven Nostrils Before Rhinoplasty but Now More Accentuated? (photo)

I just had open tip rhinoplasty to fix my rather bubbly nose. I was born with uneven nostrils and before surgery I asked the Doctor if it the surgery would correvct the issue. He said maybe 80%. It's been 2 weeks today and my nose looks horrible :( Before I had the surgery since the tip acted like a hood it hid most of the uneven nostrils. Now since the tip is smaller it accentuates the uneveness! It looks so disfigured! Can this be corrected with another surgery?

Uneven Nostrils After Rhinoplasty

+1

Dear Carrie,

I understand your frustration and it is pretty normal that you feel as such especially that based on what you described your nose looks even more unsymmetrical than before the surgery.

However, you have to keep remembering that you are 2 weeks post-op and your nose is swollen. Another important fact is that patients do exhibit different levels of swelling even at different areas of the same nose causing asymmetrical looks. Also, patients with thick skin like yours require more time to recover.

Therefore, I recommend that you be a little more patient and to give mother nature the chance to take its course. 

Usually, it takes about 12 months before final results of a rhinoplasty get established.

Please follow your surgeon's instructions religiously and protect your nose from possible traumas; keep your surgeon in the loop of your recovery process.

I hope this helps and congratulations on your surgery.

The best of wishes to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Uneven Nostrils Before and After Rhinoplasty

+1

You cannot judge your appearance 2 weeks after a rhinolasty. Wait until the swelling has resolved. Your nose will change dramatically over the next 10-12 months.

Uneven Nostrils 2 Weeks After a Rhinoplasty? No Worries

+1

At this point you just need to take a deep breath, relax, and be patient. Swelling can be significant for a while after a rhinoplasty. More importantly, swelling is almost always asymmetric. It is not uncommon to have patients worry about asymmetry early, only to have the asymmetry resolve completely as the swelling goes away. It is really likely, based on the photos, that this will turn out fine.

Michael R. Menachof, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nostrils Before Rhinoplasty but Now More Accentuated?

+1

I'm confused? The photos show very little asymmetry of the nostrils and nasal sills. And hashing an open rhinoplasty technique and ONLY being two weeks post op you MUST be more patient and REALISTIC. Allow at least 3 months healing before complaining . To me this a very very good early result. 

Rhinoplasty results take ! year.

+1

Rhinoplasty results take ! year and it is too soon to say what the nostrils will look like in a year. Be patient and it will probably be fine.

Uneven nostrils after rhinoplasty

+1

The swelling you see this early after surgery makes it hard to assess the tip and nostril asymmetry. It's best to allow your nose time to heal before considering revision surgery to treat any persistent nostril asymmetry.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Uneven nostril just two weeks after rhinoplasty

+1

Two weeks after an open rhinoplasty is the wrong time to judge whether your nostril uneven appearance has been corrected by your procedure. The tip is undoubtedly stiff and unyeialding at this time and you must wait before you judge. Your photo though looks pretty good.

Assymetrical nostrils

+1

One is indeed higher by a fraction than the other. With your upper and lower face covered it is difficult to see if the entire face is assymetrical and the nostrils are just one part of it.There is nothing disfigured about your look.You dont need more surgery you need to relax and smell the roses for 6 months .

Richard Ellenbogen, MD