Uneven Nostrils After Plastic Surgery, Worth Having Revision Rhinoplasty to Even out?

I had plastic surgery, I'm 8 months post op now. My nostrils were slightly asymmetrical before surgery, but the rims of the nostrils were even then. Now after surgery the right nostril rim looks pinched upwards. I told my doctor I feel uncomfortable, but he insists that if he was in my shoes he wouldn't do revision surgery. He says he thinks the difference is hardly noticeable and that revision surgery might not solve or even worsen the problem. What should I do?

Revision rhinoplasty for uneven nostrils

+1

Nostril notching and flaring is best treated with composite skin grafts placed inside of the nostrils to bring the alar rim and edge downward.  This can be done either on 1 nostril or both depending upon the patient’s needs, wishes, and desires.  These composite grafts are harvested from the ear and composed of both skin and cartilage taken from a very inconspicuous portion of the ear.

Web reference: http://seattlefacial.com

Consider Non-Surgical Revision Rhinoplasty

+1

The asymmetry of your nostrils is very minimal; however, if you wanted to have a non-surgical rhinoplasty correction, that is an excellent alternative to revision rhinoplasty

Filling injections are a very handy, practical, and are less expensive way to make the correction. 

In your case, the injection would be made at the apex of your right nostril to bring the high point of the nostril down to match that of the left nostril.

Understand that there are both temporary and permanent filler injections available to you.

Web reference: http://www.revisionrhinoplastydoctor.com.com

Uneven nostrils

+1

Definitely leave it alone. We are always more critical of ourselves then what anyone else notices. You have a very nice result and further work could risk more scar tissue or asymmetry. There is an old surgical adage that goes "the enemy of good is better".

Fort Lauderdale Facial Plastic Surgeon

Answer to RealSelf.com Rhinoplasty revision question

+1

I am in total agreement with your plastic surgeon based on the photograph that you provided.  The asymmetry is relatively minor and there are few options in terms of revision.  Further surgery may lead to other problems and one must be careful of unintended consequences.   Your nose really looks quite good.  Best wishes.

Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1

No, IMHO the degree of nostril asymmetry and nostril position do not warrant any type of surgical intervention.  I'd leave it alone if I were you.

Web reference: http://www.drfpalmer.com

Rhinoplasty, Uneven nostrils

+1

I would listen to your surgeon and hold off on any revision surgery. Hard to tell without preop photos how the asymmetry has changed. I usually go through a People magazine or other magazine of a similar type with my patients before a rhinoplasty to look at faces of people we consider attractive, and then I point out all the flaws and asymmetries in those faces that my patient didn't see. We are always much more critical of ourselves than others are of us. In rhinoplasties especially we tend to magnify small flaws that are virtually imperceptible to others.