Uneven nose and cartilage showing after open rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had open rhino 8 weeks ago. The swelling as gone down considerably and now I can see more "bony" side on my right side. Also my left side feels more swollen and stiffer. But I'm concerned about the right side cartilage that it's pretty visible like a bump. Will the skin erode? Will it even out? What is your opinion? My nostril feels flimsy on the right side too. Please I would hate to have another rhinoplasty.

Uneven nose and cartilage showing after open rhinoplasty?

+2

I would address your concerns with your surgeon, but swelling can distort proportions and the result for months.

The nose can be swollen for up to a year or more. Swelling will depend upon the nature of maneuvers employed, presence of grafts or implants, thickness of skin, open vs closed, revision vs primary, etc.

Open Rhinoplasty

+2

Thank you for the photos but you are still very early since your surgery and all the swelling has not had a time to resolve. I would bring my concerns to your surgeon though.

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nose

+1

Dear Vegetarian 1987:

You are far too early to determine how things will settle, as it will take several months for things to heal, contract and swelling to resolve.

So far, from the photos you posted there are asymmetries which I would consider acceptable, as the two sides of the faces are never the same. Chances are you had asymmetries before surgery.

Follow up with your surgeon, as it appears that he did a great job.

Michel Siegel, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with an even knows and cartilage after eight weeks.

+1

Rhinoplasty with an even knows and cartilage after eight weeks. This will not be gone for another 6 to 12 months. Be patient and as the swelling goes away you may find that the nose will become symmetrical and not require a revision.