Uneven Nipples After Breast Augmentation

I had a breast aug 3 days ago. I was previously a 34B and got 300cc smooth under the muscle Mentor silicone. Based on what I've read I understand that it takes a while for them to drop. However, the implant on my right breast has dropped and the left one is a very weird shape and extremely high up. Due to this, my nipples are completely uneven (they were fine pre-op). I just want to make sure that this is normal and that my breasts aren't gonna stay uneven forever. About how long will it take?

Nipple-Areaola Asymmetry following Breast Augmentation

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

There are several factors which can lead to asymmetries in nipple-areola following breast augmentation. Some of the more common causes include native asymmetries that existed pre-surgery which become more apparent following an augmentation, as well as different rates of descent of the implant following an augmentation. Occasionally, these asymmetries may be seen with complications such as a hematoma.

In your particular case, it is difficult to make an assessment without seeing photographs or examining you first-hand. You are very early in the post-procedural period and are likely experiencing normal findings.  To be on the safe side, I recommend you follow up with your surgeon for an evaluation.

Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Uneven nipples three days after brest augmentation may signify a problem.

+2

Since you did not have nipple asymmetry pre-operatively, such a significant difference now may be a sign of bleeding in your left breast. OR, it could be due to muscle spasm forcing the left implant up higher in the submuscular pocket, whereas the right one is already comfortably "down" in its own pocket. You may be right handed, and even the slight differences in hand usage can be part of early post-op asymmetry.

Whenever one of my patients calls me with this concern, I ask them to come in for an immediate recheck. That way, if it is nothing to be concerned about, off they go and both of us are relieved! If the asymmetry is due to bleeding, I take her to surgery urgently (6-8 hours after her stomach is empty for safest anesthesia), unless there is active bleeding and breast hematoma expansion (then, right away). That way I have removed the blood as soon as possible, rather than leaving it in the breast tissues, possibly causing a higher risk of capsular contracture.

Just waiting for your next appointment may not be the best course of action. Ask to be seen by your doctor. If he or she is like me, we do not consider this to be a nuisance at all, but rather are glad to address any concern immediately, hopefully preventing future problems and maintaining our great results! Call your surgeon now!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nipples

+1

Hi,

You are only 3 days post op and this makes you in the infancy of your procedure. 

Unless you have a complication such as a bleed, the augmentation procedure does NOT change the nipple position.  It may be appearing that the nipples are in different positions but if you measure from the notch above the breast bone to each nipple complex, it will be the same as pre op other than some stretch from the implant placement.

Be patient.  If there is an issue that is going on, discuss it with your plastic surgeon.  We all want our patients to be happy but if you were my patient and I did not see a complication, I would tell you to stay calm and understand the process of breast augmentation and the changing position of the implants over time.

Good luck with your results.  I have many patients that are in the same category of worry in that there are changes yet to happen that may make you much more happy. 

Steven M. Lynch, M.D.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Nipple height

+1

it is almost impossible to comment on a result three days after surgery. Each breast might have different amount of swelling accounting for this problem. Certainly your breast will change over the next 2 to 3 weeks. If nipple asymmetry continues, it will be best to address this to your surgeon and asked for an explanation. This might have been a preoperative problem that was hardly noticed because of her small breasts, and magnified because of the large size of the implant that might have been placed.

John E. Sherman, MD

3 days after surgery is early

+1

Assymetry early after surgery is often accentuated by the swelling and tight submuscular pocket.  The tight pocket often drives the implant superiorly.  As swelling subsides and your tissues relax the implant will often descend into a better position.  You can help it along with specialized garments to push the breast inferiorly.  This is worthwhile doing consistently in the first 6 weeks before the pocket fully forms and seals the implant to its final position.

Chen Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Nipple Correction

+1

Asymmetry before surgery or asymmetrical placement of an implant, especially when the implants are placed under the muscle, occasionally one implant may go higher. This will create shape and also nipple asymmetry after the procedure. Usually a high riding implant can be massaged and there is a good chance that it will drop to a regular position, if this doesn’t happen it will require a second surgery to lower this implant to where it’s supposed to be.

S. Ozan Sozer, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Breast assymetry and breast augmentation

+1

Dear Jaycee, 3 days post breast augmentation is very early and the shape and symmetry of your breast will probably improve with time.   breast massage and wearing a compression garment, such as an ace wrap, can help speed the process.  Do more massage on the tighter/higher implant, especially pressing on the upper pole of the implant.  This should help stretch the tissues in the lower pole of the breast.  Check with your doctor to see when he/she would suggest you begin the massage.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Uneven nipples

+1

Since you are only 3 days post op i would be patient.You may want to wear a bra for support so the implant doesn't drop more.Also a strap across the top may keep the one from riding too high.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Nipple position after breast augmentation

+1

I am sorry you are having trouble at this point.  Luckily your are only 3 days post op.  What you are seeing now rarely is representative of your final outcome.  It takes at least 6 months to see a final outcome.  Most of the changes occur over that first few weeks, but your breasts will change in shape and position over several months.

That said, you should confer with your surgeon.  There are issues that could cause your nipple position to change that can be improved.   Most likely, one of your implants is a bit higher than the other.  Alternatively, you could have a hematoma. These both could warrant intervention, that would be better now than later.  Talk with him.  

Good Luck, I bet things will work out and you will be happy.

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Talk to you surgeon

+1

I can see all different advice you are getting. The easiest thing to do is to call your doctor and arrange to see him to address your concern.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD