Uneven Legs After Liposuction - 4 Weeks Post Op

I had liposuction on inner thighs (down to my knee) 4 weeks ago. Legs are still no smaller than before surgery. I am worried about my inner thighs as my legs are now uneven. Halfway up my left leg; the skin goes in (looks like it has been suctioned) then towards the top of my inner thigh, it bulges out again. It looks and feels fatty like it did before surgery. My right leg looks good, it appears even from my knee to the top of my inner thigh. Can anyone please confirm if this is normal?

Liposuction Results?

+3

At 4 weeks postop it is still too early to evaluate your final results. I ask patients to wait at least 2 to 3 months to assess the results of the procedure. It may take several months later for the skin to “redrape".

Reasons for asymmetry include asymmetric swelling, seroma/ hematoma,  asymmetric tissue removal etc. Unfortunately without direct examination it is difficult to give you specific advice.

I would suggest continued follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Concern about liposuction results 4 weeks after surgery

+2

At 4 weeks, you are still very early in the healing process and can definitely have temporary irregularities that will disappear with time. Of course, they may not. It can take 6 months to a year to see the final result from surgery.

Photos would be helpful for better assessment of your situation. You should also share your concern with your surgeon.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Uneven liposuction

+2

Since you are only 4 weeks out from your surgery I would not worry too much yet.  For the first week or two most patients will not notice any size change because of all the swelling from the procedure.  Even if things seem uneven a few months from now you still need to be patient and wait.  Most patients need to be 9 to 12 months out from the original surgery before considering a touch up procedure to make sure they are near their end result.  If you try to touch up too soon you could be suctioning in an area of swelling and make the end result worse.  Needing a touch up is not uncommon with liposuction, I think about 10% of my patients will have at least  a little touch up.

Gary Hall,MD

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Uneven contour 4 weeks after liposuction

+1

Hello Alyce,

Thank you for the question.  Contour irregularity is perhaps one of the most common potential complications of liposuction.  At 4 weeks there is still some swelling and healing that needs to occur so some changes will still be seen further out.  It may be that you may need a touch up lipo revision to fully correct the irregularity as well.  I would discuss the timing of this assessment and revision with your plastic surgeon.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD