Uneven Juvederm- Should I Get a Touch Up?

I had one vial of juvederm yesterday to help correct my smile lines and it looks very uneven! I have no bruising, redness or bumpiness. My left side looks great- it's plump/smooth & my creases are gone. The right side still looks deflated...I see no noticeable difference. My dermatologist spent more time on the left side...she said I had deeper lines, but I think she overcompensated. Can I get a mini-touch up without purchasing an entire new syringe? Will the right side eventually improve?

Uneven Juvederm the Day After in Soon to Be Newlywed

+2

Hi Soon to B,

Best to wait a few days to let all of your swelling to resolve.  If you are still concerned, your physician should be able to inject more Juvederm to even things out.  Most injecting physicians can do an additional small treatment without having to charge you for an entire syringe, but check with your injector as policies vary.  Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Swelling after Juvederm - one day is too soon to tell results

+2

Usually it takes 3-4 days after Juvederm injection for the swelling to subside, so I would give it 1-2 weeks to see what the final results are after everything settles down. One side may be just more swollen than the other.  You can always add more later.  It is more difficult to remove excess filler.

Also, consider the fact that you don't want complete correction of the smile lines.  We  naturally have some indentation there, although it's true that it is much more shallow when one is young.  But removing the nasolabial folds completely may make the lower part of the face heavier and more prominent.

See how things go in a week or two.

Emily Altman, MD
Short Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Fixing uneven results from Juvederm

+2

Because of the expected swelling that everyone gets from Juvederm (or any of the hyaluronic acid fillers), one day is way too soon to assess the results of your treatment. I tell all my patients at the time of treatment to wait at least one week, preferably two, before looking critically at the areas treated. And no massaging the areas "to make them even" as this can make it worse. If necessary a "touch up" sized syringe has half the amount of filler and should be half the price.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

In my practice I allow minor touch ups. But we really do not know your injecting doctor and her policies. Best to call the office first to see if additional fees could be given or if it is a complimentary T/U. 

+1

IMHO, you may want to wait a few days to be sure swelling is not causing the asymmetry.  After that, more Juvederm can be added to even things out.  It's not uncommon for one side, of the face to be smaller, flatter or have deeper folds.

Uneven Juvederm vs swelling

+1

This is a question for the person who injected you - usually I have patients look in a mirror right after the injection (and before the onset of swelling) to evaluate the result and symmetry.  After the swelling really sets in (24-72 hours), you have to wait until it settles down before making any decisions on touch ups so that you don't do more damage with over-correcting.   Once you go back for a follow-up appointment, you can discuss whether you need any additional treatments and how much it will cost.     

Michelle Spring, MD

Uneven Juvederm

+1

Please wait at least 7-10 days before assessing the results of your Juvederm treatment.  Things need to settle a bit before you can truly see accurate results.  If you are still unhappy after that time, ask your injector what he or she can do to help correct the situation.  As far as pricing goes, that is up to your injector.

Sheri G. Feldman, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologist