Uneven Face from Radiesse Going Down?

I had 2 syringes of Radiesse in each cheek to give volume and the illusion of high cheekbones January 2007. Since then, it has decreased very little. I recently had pictures taken March 2009 and noticed that my face looks almost the same 2 years later, as it did the day I got the injections.

My doctor asked the Radiesse sales rep and told him about my situation and he said that they have never heard of anything like that happening before and that Radiesse usually goes down within 1 1/2 years. I do NOT like how it looks and want it to go down. The area "pushes up" underneath my eyes and makes my smile difficult and "fake looking." My face is uneven. Any advice from doctors on what to do?

Radiesse Lasting Over Two Years?

+2

Hi Radiesse Regret,

Your system is metabolizing Radiesse slower that most patients. I have never seen Radiesse last as it has in you (I have a practice full of patients who wish it would). I would question whether Radiesse was injected, or if a more permanent product was used. Hopefully within the next few months you will see resolution of the product in your cheeks.

Have you ever had any other products injected into the area? Have you had any facial implants (sialastic, fat, etc.) in the past? Have you had adjunctive treatments such as radiofrequency, infrared, or laser light treatments? You may want to speak to your physician regarding a CT scan or MRI to make sure that there is no underlying unrelated growths (very rare, but would not want to overlook). I am sure that you have massaged the area.

The good news is that in your photograph you are a very beautiful woman, and that hopefully with time the Radiesse will resolve.

Be well.

Dr. P

Persistence of Radiesse

+1

One of the reasons for conservative uses of fillers and using a series of injections is to work with your body.  Every patient is different and absorbs filler and reacts to it differently.  I have found that Radiesse persists in the cheeks longer than most locations (due to the nonmobile nature of it).  In addition, patients with cheek implants tend to have Radiesse persist longer as well.  

Anil R. Shah, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon