What Could the Cause of my Uneven Eyes Be?

I've noticed that left eye is much larger than my right, also that my left cheekbone is less prominent than my right, plus it appears that there is more fatty tissue on my left,and looking through old photos i can see the difference between my eyes has continued throughout them. Is there anything i can do that could reduce this difference?

Facial and Eyelid Asymmetry

+2

After reviewing your photograph, I would direct my efforts at correcting the downward tilt of the outer corner of your eyes it is more severe on the right. Your left eye appears larger because the upper eyelid rests at a higher point on the eyeball than the right upper eyelid. I suspect that the orbital maxillary bones are not equally developed. There also appears to be some weakness in the upper eyelid muscles.

Cephalometrographic studies could provide useful information as a guide to correct your facial asymmetry.Thorough examination by an opthamologist would help. It may reassure you to know that all people have some degree of facial asymmetry.

It could be that one eye is more prominent than the other

+1

It could be that one eye is more prominent than the other. It could be a boney deformity. It could be genetic, traumatic, or the result of a neurological problem. You should visit an oculofacial plastic surgeon to get an expert opinion to determine the cause and the best approach for treatment.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Everyone has uneven eyes

+1

The left and the right side of the face are always going to be asymmetrical. Some faces are more asymmetrical than others. Everybody has one eye that is slightly bigger than the other. Your facial features are all within normal limits. As long as the left eye does not have any visual obstruction from ptosis, it is not advisable to have any surgery performed.

The cause of my uneven eyes

+1

Causes are the real question or combination of them. The differential diagnosis is: genetics, trauma, birth deformities, tumors, endocrine diseases, just the way you are. See a boarded Plastic Surgeon and Medical Genetics doctor.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Yes it is true that most of us are asymmetric.

+1

Having said that you do have somewhat usual feature. Rather than your left eye being too big, I think your right eye is too small. The right upper eyelid seems to hang a bit lower on the right eye. Also the right cheek is not projected as much as the left side. The most important consequences of this is that while both lateral canthal angles are low, the right side is markedly lower than the left side.

Depending on how troubling you find this issue, you may do nothing or you may feel motivated to seek surgery. If you do seek help, I advise using extreme caution in shopping for a surgeon. The surgeon who did a gril friends breast surgery or nose job is very unlikey to be suited to address these issues. You need to identify midface surgeon who understand how to surgically modify the canthal angle.

Facial Asymmetry

+1

Facial asymmetry is actually very common but not frequently noticed by people until they start examining themselves in the mirror.  If you stare long enough, you fill find asymmetric features in everyone - some more than others.  As for minimally invasive procedures to help with asymmetry, you can use facial fillers such as Radiesse, Juvederm or even Fat Transferring to help even the volume differences in the face.  As for your eyes, you may need a surgical procedure to attempt a more even appearance.  These are all procedures that you can consult with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Treatment of Facial Asymmetry

+1

Hi,

Asymmetry between two sides of the face is normal.  Sculptra or other facial filling agents can be used to subtly bring the two sides closer.  If this bothers you a great deal, then it is worthwhile consulting with an experienced injector, if not, it is best to leave well enough alone.  If you do choose to be treated, make sure that you choose your injector most carefully.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Facial asymmetry

+1

Every single human being has facial asymmetry. Split face photos where one half of the face is reproduced as a mirror image then compared to the other half with its mirrored image proves this. Most surgical procedures has a margin of error, especially in soft tissue work. When the margin of error exceeds the change you are trying to effect you need to proceed very cautiously and perhaps accept these "imperfections" as normal.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Asymmetry of the Face, Breast and Body are the RULE not the Exception

+1

If you are so upset about your facial asymmetry, please, do NOT look at your breasts, arms or buttocks.

Asymmetry is not the exception - it is the norm in nature. ALL of us have asymmetric features, some are more pronounced that others. As we grow older, such asymmetry make become more obvious.

As to what can be done about it? it would depend on the extent of the asymmetry, how much it really bothered you and how much risk you were willing to accept in exchange for less asymmetry. Personally, I would leave this alone and enjoy your youth without spending your money in my office or one of my colleagues' offices.