How To Treat: Uneven Eyelids, Hollowed Eye, Ptosis? (photo)

Based on the attached picture, is it possible to have my eyelids symmetrical? My left eyelid is too high probably due to lack of fat in the area. The right one cannot be seen. How do I fix this? Also, I would like to make my eyes look wider vertically and make it look less tired. Will double eyelid surgery make it wider?

Asymmetric Asian Eyelids and surgery

+2

Morning,  thanks for the question.

My practice is 98% Asian eyelid surgery and oculoplastics and it is absolutely possible to make your left eye look like your right.  However, it will require surgery on both.  I would avoid a brow lift.  You're too young for that.  In any case here are your issues and the solutions.

Right eye and brow:  They're normal but you will need a subtle crease created for your on that right side to allow for the left to match.  Nothing too high since you don't want to look to femanized.

Left eye:  You have a complex lid with multiple attachments from your levator muscle to the undersurface of your skin.  There is a perceived lack of fat volume that may or may not be the case.  Most likely your lids were even or close to even before you were a teenager.  Am I right?   On the left side you'll need to rearrange the attachments between the levator muscle and the skin to eliminate the complex multiple attachments and leave one single line.  

Your healing time would be about 7 to 10 days, practically speaking, but you can work and function before then.  You're young so some residual swelling and high appearance to the crease can be expected for about 2 to 3 weeks, then it softens and settles.

A couple of things.  Do you wear contact?  If so do you pull your upper or lower eyelids to put them in?

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Asian eyelid asymmetric how to make them more symmetric with increasing the vertical distance

+1

Asian double eyelid surgery will help increase your vertical dimension of your right eye. Currently in the picture, your eyelid skin is covering some of the lashes on the right leading to a smaller looking eye. You have large eyes in general and a double eyelid crease will make them look better! Recreating the crease on the left will help some of the skin fold better underneath the new crease. This could help your skin fold better above and eliminate the higher crease. You may still need some volume enhancement to eliminate the multiple creases. I do not agree with the other people that it could be the levator catching all of those folds, however.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

You may have ptosis

+1

I would prefer to see more of the forehead in the photo but frequently, ptosis will cause excess forehead wrinkles and hollowness in the upper lid. The forehead gets recruited to assist in eyelid opening. 

Charles S. Lee, MD, FACS

It is possible to make the right upper eyelid look more like the left upper eyelid.

+1

It is impossible to make the left upper eyelid look like the right upper eyelid.  Achieving wider eyes very much depends on precisely what you are looking for.  Generally a personal consultation is require to achieve that understanding.  Vertically wider eyelid possibly.  Horizontally wider eyelid is very unlikely.