I Have Uneven Eyelids Most of the Time, Can I Get a Perminant Fix for Them?

My eyelids are slightly uneven. On one eye, the crease doesn't touch the inner corner of my eye, like most people's eyes. My other eye's crease actually touches the inner corner of my eye, but there's a faint crease that matches the one on my first eye, my eyelid just doesn't normally "fall" into it. I make my second eyelid match the other if I tape the more prominent crease and wait for 2 days. It lasts for 1-2 weeks/until my face puffs up(eg. allergies). Can I make it more perminant? Thanks!

Permanent fix for even eyelids

+1

Eyelid asymmetry is a very common problem encountered during a blepharoplasty procedure.  Most patients have some degree of asymmetry due to one eyebrow being lower than the other along with varied anatomy of each eyelid.  On occasion, surgery is performed asymmetrically.  By removing more fat or skin from one eyelid than the other, eyelids will appear more symmetrical once healed.  The incision on the upper lids typically is performed in the upper eyelid crease and heels quite nicely blended into the natural crease line.  

Uneven eyelid creases

+1

Asymmetry is quite common, and is what makes us interesting and unique.  If it is subtle we consider it "normal", but there can be a wide variation.  The greater the difference, the more worthwhile it becomes to think about having corrective plastic surgery.  I agree that you should be evaluated by and eyelid and orbital surgeon, first to make sure everything is normal, and second to discuss what, if any, are your corrective options.

Good Luck,

Yoash R. Enzer, MD

Yoash R. Enzer, MD, FACS
Providence Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid asymmetry

+1

Seek an oculoplastic surgeon. Eyelid (and facial) asymmetry is the norm, rather than exception.

A photo would be helpful.  There are various nonsurgical and surgical techniques available.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Pictures would help us to give you better answer

+1

I would recommend to send pictures for further evaluation. There are some asymmetry that is because of the facial bone  structure which would require very involved facial reconstruction. the soft tissue asymmetry is easier to fix if needed.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Uneven eyelids

+1

Asymmetric eyelids or for that matter any facial asymmetry is not unusual. What strikes me about your description is the intermittent swelling of the upper eyelids with obliteration of upper lid crease. I strongle recommend an evaluation by an Ophthalmologist or a facial plastic surgeon to rule out Blepharochalasia which is a pathologic condition effecting the upper eyelids, causing recurring eyelid swelling, stretching and thinning skin resulting in skin excess and redundant folds in the upper eyelid. This is not so easy to correct with surgery. If this is ruled out, then an open or closed technique can be used to reestablish a permenant eyelid fold using techniques similar to the double eyelid surgery for establishing a new, permanent upper eyelid fold in Asian eyes.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid crease asymmetries

+1

There are many causes for eyelid asymmetries.  It is important to have this evaluated to make sure that you don't have something more serious.  Some level of asymmetry is normal and is seen in the eyelids and other facial features. 

Gregory Branham, MD
Saint Louis Facial Plastic Surgeon

No photos makes it very hard to understand what you are describing.

+1

What you need is an assessment by an oculoplastic surgeon.  There are a range of options.  The issue is precisely what is actually going on and what is the most conservative approach that is likely to help you.  The American Society for Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ASOPRS) maintains a geographic directory that will help you find a surgeon in your area (ASOPRS.org).

Asymmetric eyelids

+1

Asymmetric eyelids is a common reason to consider eyelid surgery or Blepharoplasty. I would recommend consultation with an oculoplastic surgeon, specializing in the eyelids and face, in your area to consider options.

Good luck!

John H. Hunts MD, PhD
Eugene Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelids uneven

+1

Some amount of eyelid and facial asymmetry is certainly normal. The best thing for you to do is to have an evaluation with an eyelid specialist (ASOPRS oculoplastic specialist). The second best thing would be to post a picture of this asymmetry  and we may be able to comment more specifically on your condition. Best regards, Gary Lelli

Gary Lelli, Jr., MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon