Uneven Eye Exposure After Ptosis Surgery in S. Korea? (photo)

Hi, I just had my ptosis surgery in Seoul, S. Korea on January 21, 2013. It has almost been 3 weeks after the surgery. Currently, it is obvious that my right eye is more "opened" than my left eye and my left eye seems sleepy. Will this become improved over time? I've submitted a picture before the surgery and my current picture after surgery. Thanks.

It is too early to know.

+1

I agree that it looks like you had ptosis preoperatively.  Did your surgeon address the ptosis or just perform double fold surgery?  These are very different operations.  If no effort was make to address the ptosis, this is very likely to be an issue once you heal.  On the other hand if your surgeon did perform some type of ptosis procedure with the surgery, then it is just likely you are swollen.  Either way, you will need to be patient and let the swelling resolve before deciding what to do next.

Ptosis surgery?

+1

Looking at your preop photo [the one where you have a beige jacket on] it seems to me that you had a very mild ptosis at most, though for an Asian eyelid it seems to be in the normal range. However, you do have asymmetric eyelid creases: the right side has a formed crease [double eyelid], and the left eyelid has excess skin and no obvious double eyelid.

In your postop photo, it seems that the right upper lid is very slightly more open then before surgery, but the left side, is a bit droopy, though the eyelid crease is now formed.

There is still considerable swelling present here, so I would expect that as the swelling improves [and swelling is almost never exactly symmetrical], the left eye will become more similar to the right side. However due to the current degree of asymmetry, I would doubt that it will match perfectly.

As this point, your best option is to allow the swelling to completely resolve. This can take at least 3 months, and sometimes in Asian eyelids, which have thicker skin, it could take even longer. I would recommend not having revision surgery, if needed, until at least 6 months from the original surgery.

You should be aware the ptosis surgery is quite challenging, even in the most expert of hands. You should make sure that your surgeon is an experienced Oculoplastic surgeon.

Good luck

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon