Could Uneven Cartilage be the Cause of Uneven Nostrils? (photo)

Or I'm thinking that the dimple on the left nostril may be because it wasn't fully filled... The uneven nostrils almost make it seem as though the cartilage tip has slanted to the right.

Asymmetry

+1

Common problem.....there is probably some weakness and/or caving in just lateral to the dome area . The area needs strengthening to slightly elevate the nostril margin here ..... it can be very difficult to do. good luck

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Could Uneven Cartilage be the Cause of Uneven Nostrils?

+1

To answer your question, yes, uneven cartilage can an cause uneven nose. That having been said, we all have slight asymmetries built into us. Your “dimple” is barely noticeable and only because you point it out. Perhaps the picture doesn’t do it justice and it is more apparent in person. Give it time and see what happens. If it still bothers you discuss it with your surgeon. Best of luck.

Columbus Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril Rim Asymmetry after Rhinoplast

+1

Nostril rim asymmetry is very common after an open rhinoplasty and early on is often the result of swelling. Whether what you see now will persist 6 or 12 months after the procedure can not be predicted now. It is not the result, however, of not being 'filled' during the procedure. Long-term it is usually caused by different levels of the caudal margins of the lower alar cartilages.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

+1

The issue os so minor that you need to be less concerned and allow full healing time. Have you discussed this with your surgeon?? 

+1

You could have residual swelling that is altering the appearance.  I would give yourself a few more months before determining the degree of asymmetry.  Nostril asymmetry is the norm.

Kenneth Hughes, MD                                                                                                                                    Los Angeles, CA

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Rhinoplasty.php

Nasal tip asymmetry

+1

Having some early asymmetry of the nose is not uncommon after a rhinoplasty.  There will always be minor differences in the shape of cartilage and the overlying skin.   I would continue to monitor the problem and I would think that it will improve over time.  

Asymmetric Nostrils after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is apparent from your photo that you do have some asymmetry between your right and left nostrils. Without a preoperative photo, it will be difficult to tell you if this unevenness is due to a cartilage issue, a healing/scarring problem, or a pre-existing problem. It would be best to look over your preoperative photos and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Thanks for sharing your photo and question. Best wishes.