What Do You Suggest For My Uneven Breasts?

I started to notice that my breasts were uneven about 2 years ago. I have always known that breasts are asymmetrical, but mine about a cup size different! My left side is about a DD and my right is a D. I am 18 and was hoping that they would even out by now. I am now considering getting a reduction, but I don't know if it is the best thing to do. I'm tired of having trouble finding a bra or even dresses, and I feel really insecure about the way I look.Should I wait? Or just get the reduction?

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and picture.

Based on your description of physical and “psychological” concerns caused by the large and asymmetric breasts, I think you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. However, only you will know whether the advantages of the breast reduction outweigh the risks/downsides of the operation for you at this time.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).

If at all possible, it is best to wait until after completing pregnancies (if planned) before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Again, doing so will minimize the chances that patients will require further surgery after pregnancy related breast changes. Patients who seek breast augmentation after pregnancy should wait at least 3 to 6 months after they have stopped breast-feeding  him when they have reached their long stable weight.

Some of the risks/potential complications associated with breast reduction surgery include:  infection, bleeding, seroma, hematoma, wound healing problems, abnormal scarring ( hypertrophic or keloid),  loss of sensation, inability to breast-feed, breast asymmetry, necrosis of tissue or skin,  unsatisfactory cosmetic results, unpredictability of exact cup size postoperatively,  recurrence of the breast hypertrophy, and the potential for further surgery.  other risks  related to surgery in general include deep venous thrombosis (clots),  pulmonary embolism, pneumonia  and even death.
Fortunately, the majority of patients who undergo this procedure by well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and board certified anesthesiologists do very well and complications tend  to be relatively minor and treatable. The severe complications are rare.

When the time is right  make sure you seek consultation with a plastic surgeon  certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  See lots of examples  of his/her work.

Breast reduction is the right answer

+2

Thank you for the photo ymor.  In looking at you you appear to be at least a d to DD breast cup size.  Since you are only 18 I am curious if your breast size has changed over the last 6 months to one year.  I don't recommend a breast reduction until patients have had a stable breast size for at least 6 months and prefereably one year.  That being said, I believe you are a good candidate for a breast reduction using either a vertical scar or anchor scar.  Have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to see what your options are.  Good luck, Dr. Schuster in Boca Raton.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon