Uneven Breasts and Nipples - Best Surgical Option?

Im 22 and I've always had one breast a little bigger than the other. It's maybe half a cup size bigger but what I'm most insecure about is the fact that my nipple on my bigger breast is about an inch and a half lower than the other. I feel like it accentuates the asymmetry. I'm already a D cup and I'm petite so I don't know what would correct this best, an implant/reduction or a different sort of procedure altogether.

VIDEO FOR BREAST ASYMMETRY: CLICK "MORE" BELOW

+1

There are many options for breast asymmetry. I have prepared a 4 part video on this problem. The easiest solution would likely be to a liposuction breast reduction on the larger breast and a circumareolar mastopexy.

Breast asymmetry

+1

Breast asymmetry is very common. From what you describe in your question, you have an obvious discrepancy. Options for correction center around what your goals are. Reductions, lifts, and augmentations to even out the symmetry are all possible. Sometimes, there is a congenital cause to the asymmetry such as a tubular breast deformity or a chest wall issue such as thoracic hypoplasia or Poland's syndrome. These often require more reconstructive procedures to correct the issues with the affected breast. The important first step is to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon with experience correcting these types of breast asymmetries.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Treating Breast Asymmetry

+1

As my colleagues have clearly explained, many options exist.  You have to visit with a few doctors to get their opinions and a feel for what they can do for you then make up your mind as to what you would like, what costs you are looking at and whom you feel most comfortable with.  Best wishes!

Curtis Wong, MD

Uneven Breasts and Nipples - Best Surgical Option

+1

Uneven Breasts and Nipples - Best Surgical Option to see in person 3 boarded surgeons for a surgery plan. The other expert posters have answered the question in great detail so your next step is to see in person the surgeon. 

Breast asymmetry

+1

All breasts are slightly different. The easiest thing to do is to lift the side that is a bit low, but it will leave permanent scars on the breast.

Treating Breast Asymmetry

+1

There are many options available, including use of an implant, reduction or simple lift. How these are combined depends on your particular problem and whether one breast is what you desire or not. From your description, if your smaller breast has a nice shape and size, all you need is a small reduction of the larger side. This not only reduces its size to that of the opposite, but lifts the nipple/areola. This should be an easy fix for a Plastic Surgeon. Make an appointment after deciding exactly what you would like. Leave it to the surgeon to decide how to achieve your goals.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Best way to correct nipple level asymmetry

+1

Hi 6709anon,

You mentioned that one nipple is lower than the other and you would like to correct this.  It is a straightforward procedure to lift the nipple. A small reduction and/or lifting can be done on that side if necessary as well.  Please consult with a plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Remember everyone, pictures are helpful to us when answering questions.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Significant Breast Asymmetry can be corrected...

+1

Hi there-

I think your highest priority should be finding a surgeon with the knowledge, experience, and outcomes necessary to accomplish your goals... This will be more important than the details of the technique he or she recommends... 

In other words, find a good surgeon and trust their advice...

Having said that, I would add that in cases like yourself it is not uncommon for 2 procedures to be required, about 1 year apart, to achieve maximum symmetry.

For some advice on how to find the best surgeon for you, please read this:

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Many options to correct breast asymmetry

+1

Without seeing you personally no one can make a definitive recommendation, but here are a few options based on your description: Since you are happy with your overall size it probably makes the most sense to do a small reduction on the larger side, which would include a lift to get the nipples at the same level. Hopefully a minimal scar technique such as  a Benelli would work but keep an open mind about the best way to get the shape right. You could of course have a small implant on the other side instead of a reduction, but you would still need the lift anyway.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Whileall women have some degree of asymmetry, yours sound significant enough to cause you distress. Since the asymmetry is a combination of volume, shape, and skin surface area, all of these things need to be dealt with in order to improve symmetry. Often you will have to manipulate the "good" breast to match what you do to the heavier, more sagging breasts. You should have a comprehensive analysis by a competent plastic surgeon. The answer is usually an asymmetric combination of augmentation, reduction, mastopexy..

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD