Natural Look for Uneven Breasts - Type of Surgery?

What surgery would you suggest for me? I clearly have asymmetric breasts and I would like to know what surgery you would advise? I have realistic expectations and know that its not possible for 100% asymmetry. Im looking for a natural look that will even out my breasts the best they can be.

Natural Look for uneven breasts

Yes, you can have a natural look and breast augmentation surgery can make your breasts more even, but probably not perfectly symmetrical.   I have attached a link to my before and after breast augmentation gallery. If you look at the results, most look symmetrical, but sometimes, there is not perfect symmetry.

In many breast augmentation patients, like the photo you have included, the inframammary fold needs to be lowered in order to allow the implant to rest at a level that appears natural relative to the position of the nipple and areola. Ideally the implant should be centered directly behind the nipple-areola complex (NAC). In profile, the natural-appearing breast is not convex in the upper pole, and an excessively convex and overly full upper pole is a dead giveaway that a breast implant sits below the skin. In addition, inadequate release of the inferior origin of the pectoralis major will allow the muscle to hold the implant in too high a position, and may even cause the implant to displace upwards (as high as the collar bone in some patients) when the muscle contracts. Patients with this problem require reoperation to release the inferior origin of the pec major and/or the inframammary fold. Likewise, if the inframammary fold is lowered too far, the augmented breast will appear 'bottomed out', with an excessively full lower pole, an empty upper pole, and a nipple/areola that appears to sit too high on the breast - another situation with a distinctly unnatural appearance, and one that requires surgical correction: repair of the inframammary fold(s).
You will likely require different sized breast implants but the result can be beautiful/ My photo gallery included women who started with uneven breasts and women with tuberous breasts. You can see what the possibility is for you. 

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

How to Fix Uneven Breasts

1. First decide if you like one of your breasts as it is now.
  2. If you like the right breast, then you would benefit from a Spectrum implant placed in the left. This is a postoperative adjustable implant from Mentor.
  3. If you like the left breast, then you would need a reduction of the right side.
  4. If you do not like either breast then decide what you want, larger, smaller, or in between.

An experienced plastic surgeon can do a variety of things to make your breasts more symmetrical, but they will never be identical. Be sure to sit down and discuss your options with several different surgeons and choose the surgeon you are most comfortable with.

Good luck.

Suresh Koneru, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Surgery for uneven breasts

Thank you for your questions and for your photograph.

There are different ways to approach uneven breasts.  Given your photograph, I would recommend a lift and slight reduction on the right breast so that it looks more like the left breast.  If you if you tried to correct this with implants alone the left breast would be firm and gravity defying, but the right breast which has more natural volume and droop would still have laxity and would not behave or look the same as the left.

Addressing the right breast only, without implants would give you a much more even starting situation whether one day you chose to add implants or not.

In an ideal situation a patient would have the same amount of natural breast tissue and same amount of implant volume.  While smaller differences can be tolerated larger differences tend not to look as good.

I generally believe that an implant on one side only never looks good.  The non implanted side never looks or behave the same way.

I hope this helps in your decision-making process and I wish you the best.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts

Thank you for your question. It appears from your pictures that you have nipple and size asymmetry. If this is the case you will need a slightly larger implant on the smaller breast and a breast lift to achieve symmetry. If you like the size of your right breast then you will only need an implant on the left side.  It could be that the left breast has some constricted breast tissue and this will need to be released at the time of the surgery probably with a dual plane approach. Good luck and I recommend that you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience with breast asymmetry.

Best way to approach breast asymmetry

I think the best way to approach correcting breast asymmetry is to have realistic expectations as to what can be achieved. Although no one can expect to achieve perfection, realizing that significant improvement can be achieved should be the goal.

Sometimes, breast asymmetry is approached in a staged fashion. First you should decide which breast you like best and discuss with your plastic surgeon how you can best get your opposite breast to match. This may require an implant, reduction, lift, or augmentation with lift. Sometimes, it is easier to correct one breast to best match the other, even if this is not the breast you like best. Other times, you may need to have both breasts addressed.

Because there are so many variables and options, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to discuss your options. This is the best way to see what can be accomplished and to make sure you are comfortable with your surgeon as well as the proposed surgery.

Good luck!

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry options

Thank you for your question. Breast asymmetry is very common, particularly size asymmetry. If you are looking to decrease the asymmetry from one breast to another, then you have several options.
1) You can reduce the larger breast with liposuction
2) You can enlarge the smaller one with fat grafting or an implant
3) You can enlarge both but use different size implants
4) A lift procedure may also be needed to help address differences in shape and nipple position.I would visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options in more detail.

Combine implants with a one sided lift to correct asymmetry

A larger implant on the small side and a lift with a small implant on the right side can give you a natural look and also correct the asymmetry. To assist in the planning and to give you an idea of what to expect, I would use Vectra 3D imaging to plan the procedure. This would allow us to determine which size implants would provide the best correction as well as give you an idea of what the results may be. I hope this is helpful. Here is a link with more information about asymmetry and 3D imaging.

Christopher J. Ewart, MD
Augusta Plastic Surgeon

Evening out asymmetry

You can have an implant in the smaller breast to balance them out or a reduction in the larger one. Or, you can also have two different sized implants if you want bigger breasts overall. Talk to a board certified plastic surgeon for more advice.

Breast asymmetry can be corrected

Breast augmentation can definitely help you achieve better balance between your breasts. You can choose to have one breast implant to bring it up to the size of the larger breast, or two implants of different sizes to make both breasts bigger. The choice is up to you.

Uneven Breast Surgery

Asymmetry is common in most women, but is subtle.  More pronounced asymmetry may be a form of congenital breast disorder such as tuberous breast deformity or the extreme Polands syndrome.  Some insurance carriers allow breast reconstruction for these patients and you can check with your company.  Surgery is designed to create symmetry and typically involves gel implants, fat grafting or both with various surgery on the opposite breast for symmetry.