Uneven Breasts and Keloids, What Are my Options?

I currently am overweight, but have always had uneven breasts. As I have started losing weight, it has become even more obvious and uneven than before. I also have a history of keloiding and overprocutive skin growth and scarring. It takes me much longer to heal from simple scratches or burns. My question is, is there a way for me to get corrective surgery without a lot of cutting and will I need work on both breast since I really only want to reduce one?

Breast Reduction and Insurance Coverage; One Side Only, Keloids

+1

Hi Chicago7125 in Chicago, IL,

Well, you can have anything you want - assuming you can pay for it.  I don't mean to be rude and, of course, you can't really have ANYTHING - it has to be a reasonable procedure, and you have to find a surgeon who will do what you want.  With that, though, it should work.

On the other hand, if you're talking about insurance coverage, then there are specific issues that will have to be addressed, probably by whatever plastic surgeon you decide you want to operate on you.  So it has to start there - find one or more plastic surgeons to go see, tell them what you want, and then listen to what they have to say.

Once you've agreed on a plan, you'll have to ask them to contact your insurance company to see what their criteria are for coverage.  In general, you have to have a certain amount of tissue removed relative to your body mass index; ie, your overall size.  It's usually about 500 grams ( a little over a pound) from each side, but each company is different and the requirements are being revised constantly.  So it will really depend on your insurance company.

Finally, there is no guarantee that you won't form keloids.  Keloids are more common on darker skin but can occur on any type of skin and with any procedure.  There are treatments available to help lessen the pain and discomfort, and appearance, of keloids, but even they cannot assure that.  Once again, you should speak with your plastic surgeon about this.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Web reference: http://www.bodysculpture.com

Breast Asymmetry is Correctible

+1

Hi there-

What you are describing should be correctible through the application of sound plastic surgery techniques.

On the other hand, if you are truly a keloid forming patient, you should seriously consider whether having breasts that are more symmetric and pleasing in shape but have keloid scars on them would be a worthwhile trade for you.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Breast asymmetry and Keloids?

+1

If you are a true keloid former, you may want to avoid surgery.  Asymmetry can be treated with a breast reduction. Perhaps you should go for a consult first and investigate the possiblity.

Bad scars after breast surgery

+1

You may still consider breast reduction in your case, and only on one breast if you desire. The scars can be minimized with silicone gel sheets after surgery and steroid injections if needed. Your Board Certified plastic surgeon may also consider a reduction technique which has less incisions to minimize the scars.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

+1

Without a posted photo hard to advise. Best to see boarded PS in person to help. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Breast reduction and Keloids

+1

Your situation is a very common one.  Almost all women have some degree of breast asymmetry (uneven breasts) and the differences often do become more obvious with weight loss.  You stated that you started loosing weight, if you are nearing your desired weight then it is a very good idea to see a local Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to evaluate your needs for a reduction.  Both sides are usually done at once so that the  breast shape, volume and position of the nipple are the same on both.  Your surgeon would just have  reduce less on your smaller side.

Given your propensity to make Keloids you should strongly consider your options prior to surgery.  You may indeed get a keloid scar after a breast reduction.  I, therefore, suggest a short scar technique like a vertical breast reduction which generally have much shorter scars than the traditional Weis (inverted T) incisions

Hope this helps

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon