Uneven breasts after BA. Will I need a revision? (photo)

I got my BA & nipple shortening done on 1/2/14 with Sientra shaped textured implants 450cc. My right breast looks bigger, has more cleavage and is sitting towards the middle line of my chest. My left one, is sitting away from the middle line of my chest and pointing a bit outwards and looks smaller. It looks like my whole chest is shifted to the left. I do know my breasts had a little bit of asymmetry before BA. Will this correct itself over time? What is your expert opinion on how my breasts turned out?

Breast asymmetry after breast augmentation

+3
Hi. Your breasts were slightly different before the operation (7 out of 8 people have minor differences, so this is normal) - if they were different before then they are likely to be different afterwards, as the breast tissue reacts slightly differently to the increase in size. Your breasts will change for at least 3 months after the operation (sometimes more),  and your implants are likely to down a little over this time. Try to be patient at this stage and wait until all the postoperative changes have finished before assessing things.  

Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Uneven breasts after breast augmentation

+2
Thank you for your question and photographs.  At this early stage in your recovery I think your result looks very good.  I do see the asymmetry that you mention but my guess is that the right breast was larger, had more skin and the implant has adjusted to the right breast much quicker whereas the left side will have to have relaxation of the skin to adjust to the implant.  I would encourage you to continue to be patient and follow-up with your plastic surgeon.  I do anticipate you'll look much better in another 2 months.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Too early in your recovery

+2
to judge what results you will have.  But you should always keep your surgeon, whom you have chosen and trusted to do right for you, in the loop and let your surgeon (rather than the grandstand of other docs) help you navigate the journey through recovery.  As others have said, I agree that you do look quite good for one month out.

Curtis Wong, MD

Shaped implant BA

+2
I actually think your breasts look very good after your surgery. Oftentimes women start off prior to BA with some baseline asymmetries, sometimes they are reduced and sometimes they are more noticeable after BA. It is still early too, so postoperative swelling has not come down completely. Talk to your surgeon about your concerns and see if there is anything you can do to improve on those concerns.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Breast implants

+2
Those photos are reasonable to give an overall view of the situation. You are very early in your breast augmentation and still have months to allow them to drop. The most important thing to remember is that any asymmetry in your breast before implants wil only be made more prominent afterwards. I do see the differences before and they are definitely accentuated afterwards as expected. Give it another few months and I bet they will fall and settle out nicely. Remember that breasts are only their most natural after 6 months in most women and even longer in others. Best wishes. 

Matthew G. Stanwix, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

+2
Your results look good and you have to keep in mind your implants are still dropping and you still  have swelling. The asymmetry looks very similar to what you started with from the before pics.

In my own practice I tell my patients that it will be about three weeks before they even believe that they're going to come down, by about 12 weeks I will know and you will know you are high,but no one else will care, and ultimately your most natural result will come between six and 12 months after surgery.

Some patients can take longer to drop than others depending on the size of the implant and their anatomy. For example, it will take longer for a 500 CC implant stretch and relax the skin and muscle than a smaller implant. A more muscular person with a sub muscular implant will take longer for the implant to drop as well.

Share your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who I suspect will walk you through this and confirm that your normal.

Marwan R. Khalifeh, MD
Chevy Chase Plastic Surgeon

Post op Asymmetry

+2
Your result is very acceptable and 100% consistent with your pre operative asymmetry. Your right breast is lower, points to the side more and the right side of your rib cage slants more to the side. This is what you see post operatively. I don't think you could have gotten a better result given your starting point.

Lee E. Corbett, MD

Uneven breasts after BA. Will I need a revision?

+1
To be honest you have avery acceptable result as compared to your before photos. Revision of only the location and size of the N/A is indicated in my over the internet opinion..// 

Early results

+1
Your results are still very early.  Things will change significantly (for the better) in the next 6-12 months.  I would try and be patient and follow the advice of your PS

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS