Uneven Breast Implants? (photo)

I had a BA five days ago, under the muscle placement, with textured silicone high profile 385 cc implants. I researched the procedure thoroughly beforehand, and chose my surgeon due to his many years of experience, good reputation and great work he had done on othets. However, six days post op and I have uneven breasts. One is large and high, and the other is flat and low, they look totally different. My breasts were very symmetrical before. Does this mean they have been placed incorrectly?

Too early

+1

Hello. Five days is not enough time for the implants to settle. Your implants will not settle for about another three months and I would not be too worried about your outcome until then. It is not uncommon for one breast to drop faster than the other.

Jaime Perez, MD
Breast Augmentation Specialist
Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Asymmetry after Breast Augmentation

+1

It doesn't look like things are terribly uneven in the pictures - usually with a hematoma, you have a sudden increase in breast size on one side, bruising, and pain.  Slight differences are normal as the implants descend into their pocket.  If you see your plastic surgeon - who like you said is reputable and does good work - he should be able to tell if you need further surgery or you should simply wait for things to change over time.  Good luck!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Uneven Breast Implants?

+1

If there is truly a significant difference is size at six days post-op and they were even before, then you have to consider, as you are, that there is a hematoma or seroma or other potential problem.  Those are usually associate with symptoms on the affected side (pain, throbbing, increased size) but not on the other.  That decision is often a clinical one (diagnostic tests are not normally done, although you can consider an ultrasound).  Either way, you need to have the addressed by and with your plastic surgeon.  Once that is ruled out you then need to try to be patient with the result.  It is not unusual for one to look a little different early on, and for the two breasts to heal at different rates.  Whether or not it's something to be concerned about depends on the degree of the asymmetry, associated symptoms and the clinical assessment.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Rule Out Hematoma byVillar

+1

Minor asymmetry is common during the early swelling phase.  Normally, peak swelling is at three days and slopes down to normal at ten days. 

However asymmetry caused by a hematoma can prolong swelling and lead to capsular contracture.  A hard tight breast, significant bruising, dark blood draining from the incision site are signs of a hematoma. A rapidly expanding breast with bright red blood leaking from the wound is a medical emergency. Report this to your surgeon without delay.

Removing the implant, thoroughly washing out the pocket, controlling the bleeders, and reinserting the implant is the highest quality care and should result in no delay in the healing cycle.  If the wound is separated  without recutting the margins, and sutured again, the wound will heal as if it was never reopened.  If the margins are re excised, the healing cycle goes back to day one.Best wishes. Knowledge is power.  Luis F. Villar MD FACS

Luis Villar, MD

Uneven Breast Implants?

+1

YES! I agree something not right. Either you have an undetected hematoma, wrong sized implants used, etc. Best to have an in person discussion with your surgeon. Most likely secondary surgery is needed. 

Uneveness after surgery is not unusual

+1

You need to grab on tight and finish the ride of the recovery process.  If your breasts looked perfect right after the procedure, I can guarantee you that they will not look perfect 6 months down the road.  A lot of settling and softening occur and you need to wait for healing, follow your surgeon's instructions, and more likely then not, you will be smiling when this ride is over. 

Curtis Wong, MD

Unevenness.

+1

Hi MissAli. At 5 days it's way too early to come to any conclusion about your final results. Your breasts will likely mature over the next 6 weeks and as swelling goes down things will improve. Talk to your plastic surgeon about these concerns, but think positive.... Thanks, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast asymmetry

+1

Some breast asymmetry is normal, but it is too early  to assess the final result. Give it time to settle down.  Good luck.

Uneven breast implants

+1

Thanks for sharing your photos.  Asymmetry at 5 days post op is not uncommon.   Its still very early to make an assessment. Patience is key. Continue with rest, using a supportive bra, and keep following your post-operative instructions.   Work closely with your surgeon and the best of luck!

Vladimir Milovic, MD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

6 Days Post-Op From BAM and Uneven

+1

At 6 days post-op, it is just too soon to worry about symmetry.  Your breasts are still swollen and in the healing process.  Follow your surgeon's post op instructions and although it's hard, try to be patient and give it a few months before being too critical about the results. ac

Angela Champion, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon