Uneven Areola Diameters. What Are My Options?

I have natural breasts and want to keep it that way, however I have one areola that is much larger than the other. I would like to know how easily this can be corrected. I do not want implants or a lift, just want the larger revised to better match the other My breasts are pretty close to the same size so I don't feel I would need any extra work done. I'm 33, no children, I do plan to have a child at some point. I have very light pink areola color, I've read colombian have an impact on scarring.

Uneven areola diameter

+1

The diameter of an areola can be reduced with a surgical procedure. However you will have a permanent scar.

Unveven areola diameters

+1

If properly designed,  a procedure to narrow your areola diameter could provide more symmetry without a lift...it depends on the amount of areola that needs to be removed...check with your surgeon who has experience with this...

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction Leads To A Breast Lift

+1

Surgically reducing the size of your areolar will lead to a lifting of the breast on the side on which you reduce the areolar.  When skin is excised from a breast in a large circle, as in a donut or circumareolar mastopexy, the removal of skin (areolar is just colored skin), leads to an elevation of the entire breast.  This may make the two breasts asymmetrical as to shape and position. 

You would need a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine which technique to use; however, one way to avoid a potentially unwanted lift, is to decrease your areolar by tattooing in skin pigment.  All big cities have excellent medical tattooists, and this may be the least invasive way to accomplish your goal and potentially have the least, unwanted side effects. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Areola Asymmetry and Surgical Options?

+1

Areola reduction  involves  circumferentially removing areola  skin  around a smaller areola design. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia. It is often  done as part of a brest augmenation/lift,  breast lift or  breast reduction  procedure, but can be done as a stand alone procedure.

You should be aware that despite best efforts scarring will be visible and potentially abnormal ( possibly thick, raised and/or pigmented).  Some areola  asymmetry may also  be present after surgery.   Their  is  a small chance that you may lose sensation.
As with all plastic surgical procedures, you must weigh the potential benefits against the potential risks/complications  while making these decisions.

Uneven areolar diameter

+1

Thank you for the question, areolar reduction can be performed to match the other side. You need a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Areola size

+1

There are special surgical technique the can reduce the size of large areola. A piwheel suture can do that and maintain the smaller size.