Uneven and Oddly Shaped Earlobes After Surgery? (photo)

I had two small holes in each earlobe closed up by a board certified plastic surgeon, during two separate procedures. The first ones were closed about 5 weeks ago, and these are photos were taken a week after the second hole was closed. The end result is that my earlobes are mismatched and distorted. My doctor hasn't returned my phone calls and his nurse insists that he did not change the shape of my earlobes. It looks like a butcher did it. What did he do wrong and how it can be corrected?

Asymmetric ears after surgery

+1

Fixing soft tissue like this and getting it perfectly symmetric is very difficult. Swelling and scarring will cause the tissues to change. Plastic surgeons know this and expect to revise certain procedures later as they learn more about how a person responds to surgery.  Give them plenty of time to heal and then return to your surgeon.

Salt Lake City Oculoplastic Surgeon

Asymmetric earlobes early after repair don't mean anything.

+1

Your earlobes still have sutures in them. It is much too early to worry about asymmetry.  Give them a couple of months.

Earlobe repair

+1

I would give them time to heal. Remember earlobes are never symmetric one is always a bit larger than the other.  But, they need more time to heal.

Uneven Earlobes

+1

I would schedule an appointment with my Plastic Surgeon and discuss the pre-op photos and the results.  He may want to "tweek" your earlobes, if needed after you are healed.  Remain calm and respectful, and I am sure the problem will be resolved.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Uneven earlobes

+1

It really is way too early to assess the results of your earlobe surgery.  Think 6 months and then carefully and calmly review the before and after photos with your surgeon.  He will be much more likely to sit down and discuss things with you if you don't come in accusing him of being a butcher and of doing something wrong.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Earlobe asymmetry

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. It is too early to determine the outcome of your surgery. You photos show  you still have sutures in place; add to that some swelling it will definitely give you a distorted look. My advice for you is to give it two to three months before judging the outcome. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Uneven Earlobes

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

It looks like you have recently had the procedure and so you must allow things to heal properly.  I would suggest that you look at your before and after photos side by side (sometimes that helps) and have a calm discussion with your surgeon.

Earlobe repair and shape

+1
If you had these surgeries recently, then you do need to let things settle down. The tears might have been different in terms of their angulation. Photos taken five days postop would not reflect the final result. You should certainly discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon but in a non-judgmental manner so please keep an open mind.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Ear lobes

+1

You need to compare the shape of the ear lobes before the surgery and after the surgery.