Help for uneven abdomen 6 years after liposuction

Happy with the results for 2 years after lipo. Then had a total hysterectomy, my stomach looks like a wreck. Uneven skin with lumps, divots, and extra skin. My plastic surgeon said I should have a abdomenoplasty. I do not want a huge scar. The stomach lo0ks like huge cellulite and divots. Any suggestions will help.

Uneven contour following liposuction

+2

Sorry about the lipo results.  Unfortunately, this is a common complication of liposuction.  In general, a smooth contour is very difficult to achieve.  Some things that help include the use of small rather than large bore cannulas.  this allows very small and even pockets of fat to be resected rather than large irregular pockets.  Additionally, a cross-hatching technique in the deep plane should be employed.  Nevertheless, you have your results. Ultrasound and laser have been broadly marketed to tighten the skin.  In general, however, the marketing and hype raise expectations that results often fail to meet.  It is always difficult to determine if a tummy tuck scar is "worth the trade" for what your currently have.  Only you can make this choice.  When the scar is well-repaired, it should become a fine line with time.   Patients who have loose skin are the best candidates for abdominoplasty.  When there is a pre-existing scar from a C-section or hysterectomy, it is easy to justify a slightly wider scar for a flat abdomen.  Good luck!! 

Loose Abdominal skin after liposuction and need for Tummy Tuck

+2

Depending on skin elasticity, age, and genetic predisposition, different peoples skin reacts differently with liposuction. while some peoples skin shrinks amazingly well after liposuction, others do not. This is especially true if you have already had stretch mark, wrinkles, or have had multiple pregnancies. If you develop loose skin or wrinkles the only way to make your abdomen look smoother is to tighten the skin via an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck. Although there is a scar with abdominoplasty, but this scar can be placed very low and you can hide it under a bikini which you can't with hanging skin or wrinkles.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

How to correct liposuction lumps and bumps?

+2
Liposuction of the abdomen should only be performed when there is excess fat without skin laxity, stretch marks, or muscle weakness. Even when you are an ideal candidate, the experienced plastic surgeon will only perform liposuction to the deep fat of the abdomen and very little to the superficial fat. Excessive liposuction in the abdomen or subsequent weight changes often results in a lumpy and bumpy appearance. Although repeat Vaserassisted liposuction may improve the appearance, only a tummy tuck results in complete correction. A nicely placed, low scar, can be easily hidden by underwear, bikini, or low cut jeans.

Frank Agullo, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction results negatively affected by hysterectomy

+1

Your liposuction provided good results you state, but after the hysterectomy you have uneven skin.  The hysterectomy may have created adhesions of skin to muscle and improvement may need a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty).  It would be doubtful that the contour could be improved sufficiently by subcision and fat injections in the depressed areas and microliposuction of the elevated areas. See a plastic surgeon in consultation for an in-person examination.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Tummy tuck

+1
Is sounds like you would benefit from an abdominoplasty. If you already have a hysterectomy scar that should be less of an issue

David L. Abramson, MD

Abdomen

+1

If you have a lot of loose skin on the abdomen and the muscles are weak, you may be a good candidate for the procedure.  An exam and discussion are essential.

+1

You report having had a disappointing Liposuction followed by a total hysterectomy (? scar location and extent) and are unhappy with your "stomach looks like a wreck. Uneven skin with lumps, divots, and extra skin" - YET in the absence of a good set of photographs it is impossible to begin to advise you on where to start. Can a mechanic suggest car repairs without taking a look at the car?

One more comment Re "huge scars". NO sane persons wants a scar if he/she can avoid it and ,please believe me, myself and every Plastic surgeon who I know HATES scars more than you can imagine. We always try to produce the best results with the shortest scars possible. This does NOT mean that ascars are avoidable. Just like an overly long skirt cannot be shortened without hemming and a stitch line, excess skin cannot be removed without a scar WHOSE LENGTH IS DETERMINED BY YOUR SKIN EXCESS. If you want smooth skin with all skin excess removed, the length of the scar is determined by YOUR anatomy NOT by the wish of the surgeons. We would love to get a great smooth tummy without or with a minimal scar but it is always up to our patients' anatomy to dictate what we can or cannot do.

If you dictate to a Plastic surgeon to perform Liposuction INSTEAD of having a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty), you will lose excess fat but will be left with excess, overhanging skin. It is far better to find out what would give you the best result and decide if you can accept its scar(s) and potential complications.

Peter a Aldea, MD
Memphis, Tennessee

Liposuction and Tummy Tuck

+1
Although without pictures it is difficult to fully assess your condition, the cellulite and extra ski appearance of your abdomen could be best improved by an abdominoplasty. Standard liposuction does not routinely improve upon extra skin. Depending on the amount of extra skin you have, the newer techniques of liposuction (laser, ultrasound, etc...) may not adequately correct your problem either. Abdominoplasty does not have to leave you with a "huge" scar; if you already have an incision from a hysterectomy, it may only be an extension of what already have. I'm sure your plastic surgeon can answer any questions you have. Best of luck to you.

Derek Lou, MD