Undissolved Stitches Post-Blephoplasty?

I am 9 weeks post upper bleph. Although difficult to capture with the camera on the right eye, there are two lines of raised bumps. They are not milia. My PS said to just apply vitamin E cream and warm compresses. I hate to say it looks like tracks. My theory is the stitches did not dissolve. Nothing he did, my body just didn't heal properly. Applying makeup makes it more obvious. The other eye looks great! Few same bumps on inner area. Thank you for your time.

Normal Healing after Blepharoplasty

+1

You appear to have normal healing for 9 weeks after surgery. The "bumps" you see are normal early reaction to the sutures (no remnants that I can see). I would predict that in the next several months they will be almost invisible.

Stitches not dissolved after upper Eyelid Surgery

+1

The photo captures the upper eyelid nicely and the marks shown are typical and normal healing after an upper eyelid surgery.  You can see the suture used for closure was a running suture and there's no evidence of retained stitches or  suture fragments.  Looks like you're healing really well, IMHO.

Upper eyelid scars and healing

+1

You appear to be healing well and as expected.  At 9 weeks the scars are still in the early phases of healing.  With time the bumps should settle and flatten.  This may take another 3-6 months.  Continue follow up with your surgeon so they can monitor your progress.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Post surgical upper eyelid bumps

+1

Please allow more time. Upper eyelid skin heals well. But the two lids may not see scar resolution at the same rate.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Bumps on incision after blepharoplasty

+1

It is hard to tell about the bumps from the photos - but it appears to be healing very well.  I have found that topical medications for the bumps are minimally helpful.  However, there are injections of anitinflammatory medications (some off-label use) which I have found very helpful.  You can ask your surgeon about this.  Otherwise time usually allows things to settle well.

Guy Massry, MD

Bumps on Upper Lid Blepharoplasty Incision

+1

Anon,

It is not unusual to see bumpiness along the incision line of an upper blepharoplasty.  WIthout seeing your operative report, it is impossible to know if there are any dissolving stitches under the skin.  If so, these should dissolve.  Regardless, your incisions will smooth out more in time.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon

Post blepharoplasty incision with visible bumps

+1
Without knowing what type of sutures your surgeon used it is impossible to say whether you have any dissolvable sutures in the upper lid. I personally use dissolvable sutures on the lower lid blepharoplasty and not on an upper lid blepharoplasty. It is very important in upper eyelid surgery to remove the sutures in a timely fashion so that you do not form any "bumps" on the suture line. You are correct in stating that it looks like a track as the small bumps form around the suture line in the healing process. This should get better with time I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and he/she should be able to put your mind at ease regarding your recovery and post operative plan.

Michael Elam, MD

Ask your plastic surgeon

+1
If the lines so hard to see then give it time to heal and follow your surgeons directions. Your scar line are very minimal and acceptable.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon