Undissolved Stitch 8 Weeks After Labiaplasty

I had labiaplasty 8 wks ago. I have one dissolvable stitch left at the very anterior of my labia minora. My MD trimmed it but it hurts. She said I have to wait for the rest of it to dissolve. Why can't she cut it out? What can I do about this?

Labiaplasty suture

Your surgeon can probably cut the suture out, but this would involve making a small incision to take the suture out which may defeat the purpose of trying to limit the discomfort associated with the suture.  If the pain is unbearable now, then this may be worth it.  But then you will have another short term source of discomfort.  Hope this helps.

Good luck.

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

Pain After Labiaplasty, Retained Suture

Hi kap214,

It's not unusual for small pieces of the sutures to remain, even if they are "dissolvable" sutures.  Sometimes it's just some swelling around the area where the suture was but if there's really some suture material left (if you can see or feel it, or you're otherwise convinced) then it should not be that big a deal (easy for me to say!) to have it removed under a little local anesthesia.  That, which is an injection, can be done after a topical anesthetic has been applied, should be adequate.  Once the suture is removed, things will typically settle down pretty quickly and you should feel a lot better.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

122 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065

Painful suture removal

Typically this is easy to remove and we remove them with minor discomfort. You may want to try applying a topical anesthetic 1-2 hours prior to visiting your gynecologist. This may allow them to remove the suture with less discomfort to you.

880 W Central Rd
Arlington Heights, IL 60005

Painful suture remnant after labiaplasty

Give your doctor a call.  Sometimes, the remnant of a dissolving suture will cause pain and irritation.  When this occurs, the simplest solution is to remove it.  If something more is going on, your surgeon will be able to tell you once he/she has a good look under the exam room lights.

Allan J. Parungao, MD
Oak Brook Plastic Surgeon

676 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611

Call your doctor

Dissolving sutures sometimes form little bumps that need to be removed. Usually they dissolve, but an examination can help tell the difference. Call your doctor.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

630 South Glassell
Orange, CA 92866

How to treat an undissolved stitch after labiaplasty

Well, if you have one stitch that continues to bother you, it should be able to be removed under local anesthesia in the office. Although dissolving sutures do go away, it is not unusual for a few to become inflamed and need attention. Warm soaks and topical antibiotic ointment may provide some relief. Just discuss it with your doctor.

Randy J. Buckspan, MD

630 W. 34th Street
Austin, TX 78705