Why Would A Surgeon Sometimes Tell Patients To Wear Underwire Bras After BA?

i see this is a very common question, but i saw one post where a doctor said sometimes he will tell certain patients to wear a underwire bra. why? to keep the implants from dropping to far? also if you had your implants put in under the breast crease, are the implants supposed to drop a little under the scar once they are settled? like the scar will look a little higher up on the breast after the implants drop? thanks.

Underwire bra after BA

+2

The primary reason I place my patients in an under wire bra immediately after surgery is to act as a splint for the inframammary fold.  Many women with small breasts do not have a well defined fold which is even more apparent after breast augmentation.  This trick helps to create that crease for a more natural shaped breast.

Kindest regards

Neil J. Zemmel

Midlothian Plastic Surgeon

Under wire after breast augmentation

+2

Some may benefit from an under wire bra after breast augmentation if the breast skin is lax and the implants tens to slip too low. The under wire can help set the fold and prevent a revision of the pocket. Another trick is an elastic cord under the breast supported around the neck, sometimes a shoe lace will do, to support the fold. The breast fold incision ideally will lie in the breast fold, not above it. It can shift upward as the lower breast skin relaxes.

peterejohnsonmd

Underwire bras not for everyone

+1

I believe under-wire bras are contra-indicated within the first month following surgery and maybe even longer. They often cause too much tension on the skin wound and the implant. However, your experienced surgeon will make the right recommendation for your particular case.

William D. Merkel, MD
Grand Junction Plastic Surgeon

Underwire bra and breast surgery

+1

I agree with comments made for this question. In general, when it comes to breast surgery, there is no "one fits all". each case is dealt with on own merits. The experienced plastic surgeon will give the appropriate advice on the type and duration of after surgery care.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Underwire bra after breast surgery

+1

I have found that my patients find an underwire bra very uncomfortable after any breast surgery so I recommend using a bra without an underwire until it becomes comfortable. Many women, whether they have had surgery or not, find underwire bras uncomfortable. Others are uncomfortable without an underwire--which is why both are available! A surgeon may have a specific reason to recommend an underwire bra soon after surgery based on the specific anatomy or surgical procedure and if this is the case, he or she should be willing to explain the reasons. I hope this is helpful information for you.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Wearing bras after breast surgery

+1

Breasts can really vary from woman to woman. Some are tight, others loose. There are many different shapes as well. That's why there are several different ways to do these operations - so they can be adjusted from patient to patient. Depending on the problem and type of procedureyour surgeon might want additional support to the skin beloe the breast crease. This support will help prevent the crease from drifting downward while allowing the skin above to stretch. One size does not fit all.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Wearing an Underwire Bra After Augmentation

+1

The primary reason to instruct patients to wear an under-wire bra after an augmentation is to support the breast crease if a repair was performed (commonly for patients who "bottom out").  Normally, this wouldn't be the case as there is a tendency for implants to gradually descend as the tissues relax.  However, normally we don't want the implant to drop below the incision.  Ideally, this would be located exactly in the breast crease itself.

Best of luck

Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Bra type after Breast Surgery

+1

The only reason I can think of for wearing an underwire bra soon after surgery would be for possible support (maybe some lower pole repair was performed). I normally ask patients not to wear underwire bras until they have full sensation of the breasts so that there isn't irritation along the lower pole. Yes, for a primary breast augmentation, the breast implants do need to settle into the pocket so we don't want bras "pushing things up".

Hope this helps.  Best Wishes.