Hello, I Have Undergone Rhinoplasty 6 Months Ago And Nose Still Looks Bigger.

hello, i have undergone rhinoplasty on jan 7th 2011. around 6 months has gone but still my nose looks bigger. i couldnt analyse whether it is swelling or my nose itself became bigger. when im seeing in a mirror it looks normal to my face but when im taking picture of my face, my nose looks bigger and awkward.. Really i got confused and im so depressed. should i go for any revision? please help me out!!!

Nose still big 6 months after Rhinoplasty

+1

I have performed Rhinoplasty for over 20 years but without before and after photos and a history of what was doen during the initial Rhinoplasty, there's no way to make any type of evaluation and recommendation for waiting versus a Revision Rhinoplasty.

Swelling? what kind of camera?

+1

The nose continues to contract over the rest of your life after rhinoplasty.  The majority of this occurs early on in the recovery process but for some patients, especially those with the thick skin or previous surgery, this can take months.  I routinely have patients tell me they see a significant change at 4-6 months or longer after surgery.  The other consideration is your camera.  The pocket-size digital cameras have a fish-eye lens that makes objects in the middle appear larger than those at the periphery.  This is a common reason for unsatisfactory pictures after rhinoplasty.  If you like the way you look in the mirror, be happy!  If you are a model, be patient!

Colin Pero, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Looks bigger

+1

You may still have a lot of tip edema if you had an open approach. sometimes after a large hump removal the nose may actually look wider as well. Talk to your surgeon and review your before and after photos. don't do anything for at least another six months.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose looks bigger

+1

It is quite common for the nose to be swollen after rhinoplasty and this can take up to a year and sometimes longer to subside completely.  Grafting to the nose may  make it look larger as well.

Nose appears larger postoperatively

+1

Hopefully more time will pass and the appearance of your nose will improve as swelling disappears.

Patients with thicker skin frequently take longer to heal and their results are more subltle.

It is important not to be too impatient.  By operating too soon, a patient can actually cause problems!  For example, by removing more from the tip of the nose, the tip can actually appear more bulbous as the sides of the tip collapse!  An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon is unlikely to recommend this path!

In some patients, resurfacing or defatting procedures can help if the final result is still too large.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Undergone Rhinoplasty 6 Months Ago And Nose Still Looks Bigger.

+1

Hi,

Six months post-op, your swelling should have subsided.. The fact that is looks bigger may be due to many things. Its difficult to say without seeing your before and after pics.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Swollen at 6 months

+1

In general it is a good idea to wait about one year before seeking a revision.  There are a number of good reasons for this which your surgeon can discuss with you.

Sam Naficy, MD