Can I Undergo a Tummy Tuck and Liposuction on my Sides if I'm on Methadone Maintance?

I'm on 160 mg's of methadone daily. I want to have a tummy tuck and liposuction for my sides (I already had a consultation with JWPlasticSurgery) so I know what kind of procedure I need or want rather. Anyway they could not manage my pain if I was on methadone and said I would have to be off of methadone for a minimum of 24 months!!!!!! I want to know of a doctor who can manage my pain and perform this surgery while on methadone, or at least on a lower dose of methadone. Thank you.

Yes you can

+3

It's certainly a challenge, but can be done. I just performed a labial reduction on a patient on methadone. I use pain pumps which help. I would also perform your surgery in the hospital with an overnight stay so you get iv pain control. After that, it's a matter of working with your  pain specialist for control. 

Good luck

Collaborative effort

+2

There is no reason that you cannot have liposuction and or abdominoplasty. The sole question is how do we manage the pain.  The surgical aspects of pain management include use of local anesthetics sometimes including pain pumps or long lasting bupivacaine preparations. The biggest part of the pain management falls on a collaborative effort between the surgeon and your pain management specialist. Preparation is everything. This case might have to be performed in a hospital setting or at least a place that has overnight nursing care and monitoring available. You might need intravenous pain medicine infusion. I didn't say this would be easy. But it is possible, and ,if you are truly motivated, could be gratifying. 

Peter D. Geldner, MD

+2

Yes, you can have a tummy tuck while on methadone but it would be best to have this done with your pain management specialist involved. There are non-narcotic pain medications which can be used in such cases to minimize narcotic use after surgery.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty liposuction possible in a patient on methadone.

+2

There is no medical contraindication to this combination of procedures. However postop pain management will be an issue in should include the input of the physician managing the methadone.

Tummy tuck on methadone

+1

There is no problem with the surgery however pain management after might require a pain medicine specialist because of your methadone dependence. Tricky and more costly, but a tummy tuck is possible.