Is It Possible to Undergo a Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation if I Have SJÖGREN'S Syndrome? (photo)

I am a 25 year old mother of two. My last child was rather large, I have excess skin in my entire midsection. I am a little worried about the procedure. I am newly diagnosed so I don't know the severity of having primary Sjogren's as far as cometic surgery. I already planned to schedule my appt. prior to this but I am not sure how this will change things.

Sjogren's Syndrome and Mommy Makeover

+1

Sjogren's Syndrome is not an absolute contraindication to undergoing the procedures that you are interested in.  The necessary step is for you to be evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon and for that surgeon and your rheumatologist to work in concert for your procedure.  Your surgeon will want to know the severity of your Sjogren's and what medications you are on.  With this information and a discussion with your Rheumatologist, a plan can then be made.  Thanks for posting your case.  Good luck with your rejuvenation!

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Sjogrens and Tummy Tucks

+1

would not be a contraindication my opinion but you should discuss this with your chosen surgeon.  You are a good candidate to have a tummy tuck but you should realize that you will not be able to remove all of your stretch marks and if you are not holding in your tummy, your tummy will not get any flatter, simply diminishing the laxity of skin that you are trading for a scar from hip to hip.  Your belly button can also provide some challenges and you should discuss its management with your surgeon.

Tummy Tuck and Breast Augmentation if I Have SJÖGREN'S Syndrome?

+1

I think it is reasonable to schedule an appointment to consider the pros and cons. There may be a few considerations for anesthesia, and if you are on any medications that can interfere with blood clotting or wound healing those issues would have to be managed by your primary physician with your surgeon.

Assuming you are otherwise healthy, you should be able to consider these procedures. 

Thank you and best wishes.

SJÖGREN'S SYNDROME AND SURGERY

+1

Thank you for the question. As you know Sjogren's syndrome can be characterized by:

* Dry, burning eyes

* Dry mouth

* Difficulty in chewing, talking or swallowing

* Dry lips

* Joint pain

* Digestive problems

as well as other problems not listed. Which symptoms you have will be different from patient to patient. Patients may be on medications that will thin the blood which will need to be stopped prior to surgery, such as vitamin E or Motrin. More commonly patients will have problems with corneal abrasions, sore throats, and difficulty swallowing. The eyes should be well lubricated every 30 minutes and taped. The anesthesiologist will add a humidifier to the rebreathing system.

However I am not aware of any wound healing risks from Sjorgren's Syndrome. I hope this helps. Best wishes.