Do I have to undergo a reparative surgery to correct a broken stitch after my diastasis recti repair and tummy tuck? (photo)

I have definitely broken a suture in my upper abdomen 2 1/2 weeks after my diastasis recti repair and tummy tuck. I have developed a cold at week two and some coughing and sneezing. I now have pain in a localized area that is sharp and burning. I do not have a bulge and I have contacted my surgeon. She was not concerned.

Revision

+1

I believe that this might have to quet revised in the near future, but you having a cold and cough might be an issue for you to get the revision. I advice for you to speak with your PS to see what instructions to follow.

Dr. Campos

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Broken stitch after abdominoplasty

+1
Dear Jjlund,

You may not have a broken stitch.  It is common to have aches and pains 21/2 weeks after abdominoplasty.  I'm sure your surgeon will keep a close eye on the situation.  Good luck.

Richard A. Bartlett, MD
Brookline Plastic Surgeon

Broken suture after abdominoplasty

+1
It can be difficult to diagnose a broken suture in a rectus repair, and the treatment will depend on whether there is a recurrence of the muscle separation (diastasis) or not.  If multiple sutures were used, it is likely that no further treatment would be required.  As well, if no bulging is evident, it is possible that what you are feeling is related to a small tear in the fibrous tissue around the suture rather than disruption of the suture itself.  This will likely heal on its own.  Best bet is to check with your surgeon, who knows how the procedure was done, and what state your abdominal tissues were in at the time of surgery.  your results look very nice and I'm sure that you will feel better soon!

Howard Silverman, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Doubt there is any disruption

+1

Thanks for your question. The picture doesn't really reflect any major disruption. This is something that only an exam would show. It is extremely unlikely that you have disrupted your repair however. Your result looks great. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

+1

ONLY IN PERSON examinations allows a diagnosis. The posted photo is really of no help.. Seek these second opinion appointments..//

Popped Suture After TT

+1
If there is no bulge, you may not have caused any damage. Some surgeons use multiple interrupted sutures for rectus plication so that if one breaks, there are others to keep the muscle in place. Consult your surgeon.

George C. Peck, Jr, MD
West Orange Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck popped stitch

+1
Just wait and see. If no bulge then nothing to do. Your doctor will follow you for his or her best recommendations. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Rectus Diastasis Repair

+1

You need to do nothing but continue to heal.  Many sutures are used in the muscle repair and if indeed one did break it is likely meaningless.   I wonder why you think you broke a stitch.  Coughing can stretch a small adhesion and be painful but no suture break usually occurs.  You will be fine.  My Best,  Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breakdown of muscle repair?

+1

If you don't have a bulge, I am uncertain as to how definite it is that a suture was broken. There is certainly nothing untoward in the photo that is posted. 

I concur with your surgeon, although being examined is sensible. 
All the best.